Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Grand Re-Opening of the Kelowna burned out railway trail
Posted By: little laker, 06-22-2008, 07:57 PM

Edit, Here's a link to part 2

The Myra Canyon trail was once owned by the Kettle Valley Railway, and then turned into a bicycle path several years ago. Here's a link to the site.

Anyways it burned down in the bad forest fire in Kelowna, British Columbia around 5 years ago.
And they just finished re-building the trestles.

Today was the official Grand Re-Opening, so I grabbed out my mountain bike and hit the trail with 2 cameras, and around 6 lenses to choose from.

Here's a few teaser photographs to start with.

I'm exhausted, so I'll leave it at these few images for now, and hopefully get you more later.

Last edited by little laker; 06-23-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Views: 2,532
06-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I took a hike below one of the biggest trestles, and shot this 8 image pano.
Sorry for the watermark on this one, I don't want it to be used without my permission
06-22-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Stu these are great! Wow , I would love to see this place in person!
06-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Rosemary

I've finished editing my Pentax photographs, so here's a few more.

This was one of the quiet times on this bridge before the opening ceremonies

For some reason I don't believe that boys shirt.

Especially since it looked like he was going to throw a rock down the canyon
I wouldn't have cared, after all I was a boy once

The Bagpipers.

An Engineer.

I'm probably done processing tonight, unless I just can't fall asleep, however I might start a thread with my other systems pic's tomorrow.

06-23-2008, 03:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The pencil fine trees blend in with the bridge fantastically

Straight prim and proper

cheers
06-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice. Another place on my wish list of places to visit.
06-23-2008, 08:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Absolutely gorgeous.

06-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much everyone,

I'll be doing a writeup tonight, and sending everything along to 4 or 5 magazines, hoping that someone bites

I've finished processing the rest of my photographs, but won't have time to post them until tonight
06-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Stu how very current of you, perfect timing to catch the grand opening. It has been on the news and radio. It was such a shame that the original structures were destroyed. Luckily the government got behind the rebuild project. Nice shots!
06-23-2008, 10:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Very nice. Another place on my wish list of places to visit.
I was there last summer (first time in Okanagan valley) and loved it. All I had at that time was a Canon P&S and took these of/from the trestles: Kettle Valley Railbed & Bertram Creek Regional Park | jamon.ca

Those photos aren't anything special, except for the fact that they're not great and are thus the reason I recently purchased a K10 and have a trip planned back to Kelowna this August Any Okanagan people want to meet up?

I realized the need for polarizing and maybe ND/graduated filters when looking at the sky in those shots -- the POS P&S just can't begin to capture the nuanced details I wanted.

Pretty much that's what pushed me over the edge, it took 8 months to save, but now I've got a K10 and can't wait to get back out there and put it to good use. This is one location that I won't mind going back and re-shooting in the least.
06-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
jamonation, just so you know it's against forum rules to come to Kelowna without at least dropping e a Private Message asking if I'm free at the time

I'm on my way out the door, but will look at your pic's later
06-23-2008, 12:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

What a great structure and nice pictures. Well done Stu.
06-23-2008, 09:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
Stu how very current of you, perfect timing to catch the grand opening. It has been on the news and radio. It was such a shame that the original structures were destroyed. Luckily the government got behind the rebuild project. Nice shots!
Thanks spyglass,

I watched the mountain burning from the comfort of my own bed in Peachland. And it was beautiful, scary, and ugly all at the same time.

QuoteOriginally posted by jamonation Quote
I was there last summer (first time in Okanagan valley) and loved it. All I had at that time was a Canon P&S and took these of/from the trestles: Kettle Valley Railbed & Bertram Creek Regional Park | jamon.ca

Those photos aren't anything special, except for the fact that they're not great and are thus the reason I recently purchased a K10 and have a trip planned back to Kelowna this August Any Okanagan people want to meet up?

I realized the need for polarizing and maybe ND/graduated filters when looking at the sky in those shots -- the POS P&S just can't begin to capture the nuanced details I wanted.

Pretty much that's what pushed me over the edge, it took 8 months to save, but now I've got a K10 and can't wait to get back out there and put it to good use. This is one location that I won't mind going back and re-shooting in the least.
Those are pretty good pic's considering there jamonation.

If I'm around at the time I might be able to arrange a little photo adventure, and possibly even loan you a couple of decent lenses for a few of your shots

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
What a great structure and nice pictures. Well done Stu.
Thanks Dave
I don't imagine that you'll have an extra day for some exploring while your up.

For those people whom didn't see it I have a part 2 over here.
06-24-2008, 08:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
jamonation, just so you know it's against forum rules to come to Kelowna without at least dropping e a Private Message asking if I'm free at the time

I'm on my way out the door, but will look at your pic's later
Duly noted

Got a lens or two coming before then, I think I'd be happy enough with just my FA 50mm f1.4, though that isn't particularly well suited to landscapes. There's an SMC K 28mm 1:3.5 in the mail for me though, that'll be superb. And a sigma 17-70 is in my price range I think too.

Some of the views from the bailout trails were breathtaking and if the sigma isn't too heavy, I'd use it for a walkabout lens on the trails. It was pouring rain when I was hiking (down) so I didn't take any shots with the p&s, which is unfortunate. If you're back up there and take more pics before I make it out there, send them my way
06-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

They look great stu...I'm going to have to make the trip up to see it this summer

Looks like it would be quite the nice walk