Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Cheater Branch Upgraded!
Lens: Bigma 50-500 HSM OS Camera: K5IIs Photo Location: Woods of Otis 
Posted By: Rupert, 10-10-2015, 12:46 PM

As previously posted, I screwed a dead branch on to a tree trunk to shoot out my office windows and get better bokeh. It has worked well for me, and I recently added a second branch just below it to accommodate more birds.

Original cheater branch...

Yes...I cheated and cloned the end of the branch on this one, but I am a confessed cheater, and anyhow, it made Otis proud!

Don't always be afraid of ISO 6400....

New cheater branch....

It has really come in handy, and I thank Otis for the idea on how to cheat to get better bokeh, he is indeed a Pro cheater! He has a new idea for me and I am going to try it next week and see how it goes.....if I know Otis it will be just right for an old cheater like me!

Regards! ...If you want to try this, it is easy to do, just find an old limb and screw it on where you want it. Otis says he holds a patent on the idea, but will only charge PF Members his standard $12. U.S. if you use it. Paypal accepted!
Views: 945
10-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At this rate that cheater tree you are building is going to take forever
I am a bit surprised that Otis is letting you take all these wonderful Birdie shots. Tho I assume he is charging a modeling fee.
10-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Patrick, Otis hates birds but thinks if they will get used to posing on the cheater branches they will make easy targets for his new Red Ryder BB rifle!

I guess most are not interested in a cheater.....I do feel some shame at times, but with counseling from Otis...I get over it!

Regards!
10-10-2015, 09:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Dang, Rupert.... I can't get over how many different, beautiful birds you have coming around and posing for you! I'm jealous/envious of your subjects and set-up! The photos are magnificent. For one who's obsessed with sharpness, yours keep the bar incredibly high! The bokeh is spot on on every single shot! Your cheater branch is working to perfection! Keep up the good work, I never tire of looking at them. They're great encouragement for my own feeble attempts at bird photos and "cheating."

The delineation in the feathers on the second to last dove photo is without peer! Incredible!

10-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much Dewman, but the credit all goes to Otis. He even got me this shot...told them to line up side by side or he would blast them with his new Red Ryder BB rifle......I objected to his method.....but I did get the shot!

Regards & enjoy your new award! We need more honest people that will cheat to get a shot!
10-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great job Rupert, you have shot a great collection of birds! Cheating or not, the results are outstanding!
10-12-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Great job Rupert, you have shot a great collection of birds! Cheating or not, the results are outstanding!

Norbert
Thank you! I love to shoot the wildlife here, and Otis loves a cheater, so it ll works out well!

I also cheat by loading the cracks in the cedar fence with peanuts, knowing that Jays can't resist!

Regards!

10-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great work here. I really need to get one of those cheater branches!