Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Finally, new pics from today
Posted By: xecutech, 02-07-2007, 09:58 PM

I was all over Nasville today and got to take my new k10d with me. I am going to post 4 pics and tell where there from, and please let me know if you like them or not, and why.

First, I stopped at Mt. Olivet Cemetery and took this shot...

Then I went to Centenial Park...

Then the Parthenon in the same park...

On the way home, these caught my attention and thought they'd make a good picture...

Views: 1,945
02-07-2007, 11:47 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
hmmmm..... maybe I should have taken pictures of birds.....
02-07-2007, 11:54 PM   #3
Inactive Account

The cemetery shot is great. I'd love to see it in high-contrast grayscale.
02-07-2007, 11:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
I have all of them, and some grayscale at my website xecutech.net/photos, but the image quality on that site wasn't great. I am going to try some more later.
The ones I converted to grayscale where messed up, as they were milky and bluish-gray! i changed the white balance setting for cloudy and then the other pics came out fine. I am still learning and these were my first full day of shooting.

02-08-2007, 12:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I like the pathernon and the forlifter shots the best

I can see you thought about each shot you took with consideration.

Nice!
02-08-2007, 06:40 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Loved them all. The cemetery and then the wildly-colored playground equipment was great. What a transition.

The farm equipment is terrific. Every time I pass one of those farm supply stores I mean to stop and take some shots. Now I've got to.

Thanks
02-08-2007, 08:24 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks, I feel better now. This was my first day of really getting out and trying out the camera. Also, I am new to photography and this is my first dslr.

02-08-2007, 08:28 AM   #8

the cemetery and the last one are good - the parthenon could really use a closer crop and they could all use some more postprocessing
02-08-2007, 08:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi xecutech, I especially like the angle you use in shooting the Parthenon. Gives nice persepctive to the building. I have found that elaborate playground equipment sometimes can produce great "leading lines" photos, wintertime is a good time to explore such as there are few people in the way and you can get some really good perspective shots. Unfortunately I've found that people get VERY touchy when you start photographing in the vincinty of their children. I understand their concern, but as a photography enthusiast, I wish it wasn't so.

NaCl(thanks for sharing and welcome to the world of dslr photography)H2O
02-08-2007, 09:09 AM   #10

Original Poster
lukastrika, thanks. I know they need some post process work, but I tend to over process, so I am showing these right out of the camera. I will post some cleaned up photos later.

naclh20 my wife asked me when I showed her the shots from today "there weren't any children on the playground?". She thought maybe the parents left with their kids thinking there was a perv with a camera taking pics of their kids!

It was cold out, so I had the park and the cemetery to myself. It was creepy at times, but I had a really fun day shooting. I love this camera and I have some new lenses coming today, so I will be right back out tommorrow!
02-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I could see a lot of potential for shooting perspective and depth shots around and in the Parthenon. These can make some great B&W shots that really show the texture.

These cemetary shots...are these family crypts?
02-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #12

Original Poster
clarenceclose, I plan on going back with a different lens and shooting the parthenon. I will hopefully have the pics soon.

These are not my family crypts, they are from Mt. Olivet Cemetery. It is one of the largest and oldest cemeterys in TN. There are alot of famous Nashvillians burried here and I am planning on going back for more shots soon.

If your ever out towards Nashville, let me know and I will take you there!
Then I could learn some pointers fom ya!

I have more pics at Gallery from both locations.

Last edited by xecutech; 02-08-2007 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added link
02-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The Parthenon has lots of possibilities for picture angles. Do they allow cameras inside it? You could try some pictures of the bridges over the Cumberland, too. And maybe Vandy.

I'm near Nashville several times a year, my grandparents live in Bowling Green, KY.
02-08-2007, 04:59 PM   #14

Original Poster
I believe they allow photos, but no flash, but have to check to make sure. I am going to a train museum this Sat., so I should get some good pics there.