Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Arch
Lens: DA 10-17 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Scorpio71GR, 10-18-2015, 07:37 PM

Went out to the local gardens and sculpture park. Saw the lighting on the Arch and thought it looked pretty good. The Arch is about 20 feet tall and I was sitting about two feet in front of it on the ground. Shot at 10mm.

Michael
Views: 895
10-19-2015, 02:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Very striking ultra wide angle effect! The lens has been made to really work with that subject. I'd reduce the saturation a little, more so in the blue and cyan channel as the sky looks unnatural. As it is the sky 'shouts' quite loudly.
10-19-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Very striking ultra wide angle effect! The lens has been made to really work with that subject. I'd reduce the saturation a little, more so in the blue and cyan channel as the sky looks unnatural. As it is the sky 'shouts' quite loudly.
Thanks I did make some adjustments after I calibrated my monitor. I also adjusted the white balance and exposure since they both appeared off. This is really more close to how it appeared to me.

This is how it looks when walking up to it. The is due to the left in the photo.

I have been studying your flash guide extensively since flash photography has been pretty much a mystery to me. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
Michael
10-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is some more information on this sculpture and the artist from the Gardens website.

Andy Goldsworthy works with natural materials such as leaves, sand, ice, and stone to create and often photograph highly ephemeral works of art. Permanent works, such as the Grand Rapids Arch, are more rare. Made with stone from the artist’s native Scotland, this piece is intended to be viewed as a work of sculpture rather than an architectural element. Goldsworthy sited the work during his visits to Meijer Gardens.

For Goldsworthy, the arch is a way to talk about movement, commenting, “The arch seemed an appropriate form to talk about ideas of travel because the stone, out of the context of an archway or a building, a free-standing arch, has a sense of a stone taking a walk; a stride; a movement. So that became the really important motivating idea behind the arches.”

Andy Goldsworthy. Grand Rapids Arch, 2001/2005. Red sandstone, 216 x 426 x 87 inches. Gift of Fred and Lena Meijer. © Andy Goldsworthy.

10-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Its a really impressive structure and clearly nakes a real impression within the landscape there. I like the work you've done on the colouring and saturation in the 2nd version. The sky looks much better I think.
10-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
Its a really impressive structure and clearly nakes a real impression within the landscape there. I like the work you've done on the colouring and saturation in the 2nd version. The sky looks much better I think.
Thank you I appreciate the comments. I like the second version better too. I have trying to improve on my work in post.
Michael
10-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You're welcome, its great you were able to make the adjustments. I hope the screen calibration will help for future shots as well. I had a similar problem once and I was getting everything too yellow!

I missed your mention of my Flash Guide earlier, so 'you're welcome' again ..... I hope it has been interesting reading. If you have any questions or points to raise about anything in the guide I'd be happy to discuss it in the guide sticky thread, on the flash forum section.