Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A tribute to the older athlete
Posted By: mel, 06-23-2008, 03:52 PM

I played in a soccer tournament this weekend. We played in the Women's over 30 division, although most of our team is over 40. There were women on one of the other teams in their 60s. I kid you not. It was astounding to see these women in their 50s and 60s tearing up the soccer field as they were, playing with speed, agility, and aggressiveness against women that were 20-30 years younger than they were.

So here are some images from our two games on Saturday, 6/21. They may not be the most dynamic in action but I give kudos to these women who are STILL out there playing their hearts out for the love of the game.

I was one of those playing and shooting while I was on the sidelines. The team manager kept yelling at me to put down that camera and get my butt back on the field. So I did. So I don't have as many shots to choose from as I would like but I can't play and shoot at the same time and I HAVE to play! And since I had to stay right by the centerline to wait for my substitution I couldn't really choose my shooting direction, thus some are shot into the sun.

Oh, and shooting a game played on artificial turf at midday is like shooting over a gazillion tiny mirrors. That stuff is highly reflective.

Views: 1,381
06-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That 1st shot look pretty nice, with both foots on the air... lefts everything in suspense.

Thanks for sharing
06-24-2008, 03:06 AM   #3
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barbosas Quote
That 1st shot look pretty nice, with both foots on the air... lefts everything in suspense.

Thanks for sharing
That one was by far the best shot of the day. Thanks!
06-24-2008, 04:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Mel, they're all great shots, especially given the situation - you're one heck of a multi-tasker.

Must have been funny, on-off-on the pitch to shoot a couple of shots. What patience a coach must have with these grown-up kids!

06-24-2008, 04:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

they are the weekend warriors

Nice to see the girls having fun

cheers
06-24-2008, 05:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice shots..what lens did you use? Bob
06-24-2008, 06:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Very good shots in harsh condidtions. That first one is a wall hanger. Kudo's to you and all the girls that are still playing

06-24-2008, 06:05 AM   #8
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Mel, they're all great shots, especially given the situation - you're one heck of a multi-tasker.

Must have been funny, on-off-on the pitch to shoot a couple of shots. What patience a coach must have with these grown-up kids!
Thanks and thank goodness for the SR feature. During one off-field period I was so exhausted from a hard defensive sprint from midfield to catch up with an attacker that got past our defenders, my hands were shaking as I was trying to shoot (because of course as soon as I stepped off the field I went straight for the camera, bypassing the water).

The manager growled at me and said I thought you wanted to come off because you were tired! Now put the camera down and get back out there!

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
they are the weekend warriors

Nice to see the girls having fun

cheers
Warriors or crazy people. Probably crazy people. And we girls DO have our fun!

QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
Nice shots..what lens did you use? Bob
Thanks. Nothing special on the lens. It's a Quantaray 1:4-5.6 70-300 zoom that's about 7-8 years old and originally purchased for a film camera. It seems to do the job okay though. I think I'll hang on to it for a while.
06-24-2008, 06:10 AM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Very good shots in harsh condidtions. That first one is a wall hanger. Kudo's to you and all the girls that are still playing
Thanks! She's pretty happy with it. She and her husband didn't start playing until they were both in their 30s so she has nothing from when she was a kid.

Of course I've been playing since I was 10 and I'm, well, a lot older than that now. And I have no pictures of me playing either.
06-24-2008, 06:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=mel;275816]Thanks and thank goodness for the SR feature. During one off-field period I was so exhausted from a hard defensive sprint from midfield to catch up with an attacker that got past our defenders, my hands were shaking as I was trying to shoot (because of course as soon as I stepped off the field I went straight for the camera, bypassing the water).

Its not quite the same as when we were in our 20s or 30s huh? Bob
06-24-2008, 06:17 AM   #11
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
Its not quite the same as when we were in our 20s or 30s huh? Bob
NO KIDDING!! Sheesh when I played in college I could race up and down the field all day long but now, I'm good for two long hard sprints upfield and I have to come out. And I play regularly so I'm not in too bad of shape for an old bat.