Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First studio shoot-Maternity
Posted By: Sarahbell, 06-25-2008, 09:53 AM

This was my first time working with my studio lights. I had a hard time with my flash. I posted my issues in a different forum and seemed to get plenty of help which was greatly appreciated. I'm hoping next time goes better. My problem was having to use such low shutter speeds even though there was plenty of light in the room and waiting for my flash (540) to re-charge. Was set in P-TTL mode. I'm goint to use the advice I got from the others this weekend to do newborn pics of my neice Melanie so hopefully they will look better, more crisp etc...

However, I would like some feedback on the one's I've edited so far. Please give me and critique you may have. Thanks so much!

Views: 2,109
06-25-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Are these images too small? I noticed a lot of people post a little bigger than these.
06-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The thumbnails are a little small I think yeah. Wow now that is very pregnant! I resemble those pics I like #1 the best very subtle.

Last edited by daacon; 06-25-2008 at 01:40 PM.
06-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for looking at them Daacon. The first is my favorite as well... She was indeed VERY pregnant! She was due in a week when we did these!!

06-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Size can make a difference in presentation and viewer response. A lot of these photos strike me as document (photos designed more to record an event , stage or process). They are nice photos.
Do you remember the pregnant photo shoot that Demi Moore did. I think that those images worked well because they showed that a woman can be more than just one thing at any given time. A woman does not turn off and simply switch to pregnant mode. She still has all the wonderful qualities gathered throughout her life to that point (intelligence, sensor of humor, creativity, drive, desire, sex appeal, etc), I guess what I would be looking for is to see and learn something more about this woman in the photo other than the fact that she is simply pregnant. That would draw more views in, evoke more thought, and ultimately get more interaction with your series. (IMHO, for what it may be worth)
Please, women of this forum please do not roast me on this one. I am a man and we are only capable of being one thing at any given time...
06-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you Spyglass for your feedback. Next time I'll make the pics larger. I guess I did view it more of a document of a time in her life as far as the shots go. But it would prob make for interesting photos if it showed a little more about her. I thank you for that peice of advice. I will def use it in the future. I am shooting my friend on mon and I'll keep that in mind for sure. It may make all the difference... But so you know, I didn't get to get too many active, candid moments bc I was having trouble with my settings. I had plenty of light, but for some reason couldn't use a shutter speed higher than 1/15!! or thwy would be super dark I think I've learned what to do about that so next time hopefully my shots will be more lively...
06-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done Sarah,
If you're hand holding the camera, mind your shutter speed.
But you've captured some good ones there.
Spyglass, your suggestion is right on the money - I think a lot of women themselves would agree that they would like those other qualities to be brought out in a maternity shoot... many women are more self conscious during their pregnancy, and that added dimension would certainly add to the appeal of a maternity photo. My wife has asked me many times during her pregnancies whether she still looks beautiful, and indeed she was more radiant then than ever before...

Similar case is with Anne Geddes' baby shots - what evokes all the laughter, emotion and 'wow's is the extra theme to the shots, not just the beauty of the baby. Creating those ideas is a skill in itself, and then capturing them on camera is probably the easier task to do...

06-25-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

#1 and #6 are my favs. #1 like Daacon said, subtle... #6 has the best lighting setup, imho.
-Dan
06-25-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
Damn Brit

Hi Sarah, 1 and 6 are my favourites, 6 being the best, good work. I'm afraid the ones in the red dress, to me, make her look more like a shoplifter than an expectant mother.

The other ones didn't do much for me I'm afraid. Maybe it's the colour of her top. I don't think it was a good choice for the studio.
Gary
06-26-2008, 12:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Ah motherhood it captures innocents at its best

well done

cheers
06-26-2008, 12:55 AM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
...Wow now that is very pregnant! I resemble those pics ...
this is a good one
but really, nice shots...
06-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks axl and cupic. I've since done a little dodging and burning to them and edited some others. There's looking better.

p.s. Funny axl!
06-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #13
Inactive Account

[QUOTE=Damn Brit;277245]Hi Sarah, 1 and 6 are my favourites, 6 being the best, good work. I'm afraid the ones in the red dress, to me, make her look more like a shoplifter than an expectant mother./QUOTE]

"Ma'am, I assume you wish to pay for that watermelon."

It is really, really hard to tell from the tiny thumbnails you've put up - we can't really judge noise, sharpness or focus well when they're 320 x 226.

For me, studio photography means the chance to create something...well, surreal, otherwordly, fantastic, because you can control everything you capture. Incidentally, this is why I don't like doing. But I appreciate the work of those who do.

In number 1, watch what you're cutting off. The subject's right knee ain't all there - it's either everything or nothing for this stuff, like cutting off the crown of a head in a headshot. Probably coulda stepped back another foot or so.

Number 5's my favourite, though the watch and ring is a little distracting, and you probably could've centred and straightened your subject a little better.