Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
28 Likes  
Portraits with the FA 31 and DA 70
Posted By: K McCall, 11-13-2015, 02:21 PM

I recently returned from a month-long trip to visit family and friends, and I was able to use some new subjects for practice! I'm still working through what seems to be a neverending backlog, but here are some of my favorites so far:

Views: 6,152
11-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
I recently returned from a month-long trip to visit family and friends, and I was able to use some new subjects for practice! I'm still working through what seems to be a neverending backlog, but here are some of my favorites so far:

Some of the most evocative and intense portraits I have enjoyed are from Keitha. These most recent are superb and will remain in my mind as exemplars to first emulate, always to aspire for and finally as examples of a photographer's art. Well done, Keitha.

11-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #32
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The two words that came to mind to describe your work is talented and creative.
11-19-2015, 05:20 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
Beautiful picture's!
Thank you!

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 08:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
The first image is particularly pleasing with that great lighting.
We moved a LOT of furniture out of the way and nearly broke a lamp to make that window accessible, so I'm glad it was worth the trouble

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 08:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Maksim Quote
That last shot is terrific.... just terrific.

the first.... particularly the eyes, seems like a bit too "unreal", too much photoshop?
I'm very happy to hear you like that last shot - I felt immediately upon seeing it that it was the best photo I've taken in years. You know, I'm very curious now to go back and see what I did with the eyes. I very rarely use Photoshop these days - 99% of my processing is done in Lightroom - but certainly I can go overboard with eyes in Lightroom as well! If I remember, I desaturated the whites of the eyes because they looked too yellow, so that may be what's causing that unreal look. I probably played with the clarity slider a bit too - it's so hard to stay away from that!

Thank you for your honest feedback. I think we are all looking to improve!

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 08:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I totally disagree. Your first portrait may be the best photo portrait I have ever seen!!!

She reminds me of a beautiful little street urchin out of a Charles Dickens novel. A very early 20th century look about it...
Thank you so much for your kind words! I love a classic, timeless look to photos, and I've been endeavoring to make that look come to life.

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 08:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Haha funny posts in here.

I just wanted to say great photos and thank you on a side topic - I used your lightroom presets to help find my digital darkroom "voice" several years ago. I started off using them directly with minor tweaks, then molded my own, and now I have enough familiarity that I don't typically need presets. But your website helped me get over the beginning hump of seeing what's possible... learning by example has such great value.
Wow, I am so thrilled to hear that! My website and presets were definitely a labor of love that I wish I had time to devote to these days. I'm so happy to hear that you made use of them.

And you know, I'm still working on finding my own digital darkroom "voice," as you put so succinctly put it. Ever reaching, ever striving!

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 08:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I like the first photo - to me it has the look of a vintage painting with the light and dark.
Thank you! That's pretty much what I was going for. It's always nice when it works out.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Amazing photos. Inspirational!!
Thank you so much!
11-19-2015, 06:25 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Some of the most evocative and intense portraits I have enjoyed are from Keitha. These most recent are superb and will remain in my mind as exemplars to first emulate, always to aspire for and finally as examples of a photographer's art. Well done, Keitha.
Thank you so much! I felt like I was in a slump for quite a while, but thankfully that feeling has passed. I'm so glad that you enjoyed these and have enjoyed my work in the past.

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 09:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
The two words that came to mind to describe your work is talented and creative.
Thank you so much! I owe a debt of gratitude to the posters here, as I've learned so much from these forums.

11-19-2015, 07:47 AM   #35
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you so much! I felt like I was in a slump for quite a while, but thankfully that feeling has passed. I'm so glad that you enjoyed these and have enjoyed my work in the past.
I'm still in a massive slump and basically have stopped shooting. I also only poke around here looking at the odd post now and then. Your shots are a definite exception - I know I'm going to be impressed.

Thank you so much! I owe a debt of gratitude to the posters here, as I've learned so much from these forums.
That's probably true of every active member here. But all the advice in the world doesn't ensure a creative eye. Don't ever sell yourself short.
11-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Thank you!

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 08:21 AM ----------

We moved a LOT of furniture out of the way and nearly broke a lamp to make that window accessible, so I'm glad it was worth the trouble

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 08:25 AM ----------

I'm very happy to hear you like that last shot - I felt immediately upon seeing it that it was the best photo I've taken in years. You know, I'm very curious now to go back and see what I did with the eyes. I very rarely use Photoshop these days - 99% of my processing is done in Lightroom - but certainly I can go overboard with eyes in Lightroom as well! If I remember, I desaturated the whites of the eyes because they looked too yellow, so that may be what's causing that unreal look. I probably played with the clarity slider a bit too - it's so hard to stay away from that!

Thank you for your honest feedback. I think we are all looking to improve!

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 08:26 AM ----------

Thank you so much for your kind words! I love a classic, timeless look to photos, and I've been endeavoring to make that look come to life.

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 08:32 AM ----------

Wow, I am so thrilled to hear that! My website and presets were definitely a labor of love that I wish I had time to devote to these days. I'm so happy to hear that you made use of them.

And you know, I'm still working on finding my own digital darkroom "voice," as you put so succinctly put it. Ever reaching, ever striving!

Thank you! That's pretty much what I was going for. It's always nice when it works out.

Thank you so much!
You know what it is that I find outstanding about the shot.... is that unlike a regular portrait, the girl playing in the field conveys action, emotion and feelings.

On the surface, it is a "pretty" picture.

Thinking more about the picture, it can be taken as deep as you want it to be. It can be looked at as a microcosm for beauty & innocence. This photo can also be placed right at home as a post apocolyptic or post chernobyl type scene due to the dark shadows and colors.

Simply put... it is more than just a photo, it is Art.
11-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Really nice portraits... creative use of light. I like them all!

11-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #38
Veteran Member

These are really wonderful pictures, all of them. They're also very inspiring and give me the urge to take my camera and shoot some portraits! BTW, your posts on your blog on how you process some of your pictures are real eyes opener. I hope we'll have the joy to read some more, they're quite interesesting and helpful!
11-20-2015, 10:04 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I Like them all... nice work. The vignetting reminds me of Photo Arts 101... vignetting was the first step in learning how to dodge and burn. It never really caught on with me , but you seem to have a handle on it.
Ditto on all of them for me. Thanks so much for a delightful viewing experience.

Tonytee
11-21-2015, 08:26 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Inspirational stuff.

Congrats!
11-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you!

---------- Post added 11-13-15 at 11:46 PM ----------

Thank you so much! I got lucky with my models

---------- Post added 11-13-15 at 11:50 PM ----------

Thank you so much! I kind of use window shots as my crutch, but it's just so easy to turn someone a few degrees and have such a dramatic difference in lighting. And I have the Florida weather to thank for that last shot - it's muggy and humid and the mosquitoes are terrible, but man does it make for some gorgeous imagery!

---------- Post added 11-13-15 at 11:51 PM ----------

Thank you! I go through cycles where I'm really excited about photography and then months where it just doesn't seem to click, but I felt like things really came together on this trip.

---------- Post added 11-13-15 at 11:53 PM ----------

I am TERRIBLE at posing and my mind just seriously goes blank when it comes to asking someone to assume a pose. For the reflection shot, I had just asked my daughter to stand next to the window, but she's three and never does exactly what I ask, so she stuck her nose to the window to see what was going on outside. I saw the reflection, snapped the shot, and it was just a one-off from the shoot. I'm glad you liked it as well!

---------- Post added 11-13-15 at 11:55 PM ----------

Thank you! It's hard to judge, but I feel like that one is one of my best in years. Of course, I could be wrong

Keitha... you don't get "lucky"....You produce so many great photos because you have so much talent that it just pours out of you. It might just pour out a little slower since you now have two kids ;-) Your portraits of people and the world around you touch me in a way that few others do and I'm certain that you bring much happiness to many others as well with your beautiful pictures. Wish I could take classes from you......

Keep up the great work when you can.

Bob in Wisconsin
11-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Excellent portraiture ...
11-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
gorgeous processing too. thx for sharing!
11-23-2015, 09:24 PM   #44
mee
Veteran Member

I've seen that last one somewhere else.. maybe DPR? Gorgeous images.. some of those might be best in class that I've seen anywhere.

What do your images look like SOOC? would you be willing to provide us with smaller versions of them SooC? especially the first two if possible.
11-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I've seen that last one somewhere else.. maybe DPR? Gorgeous images.. some of those might be best in class that I've seen anywhere.

What do your images look like SOOC? would you be willing to provide us with smaller versions of them SooC? especially the first two if possible.
Hi, mee, I think you saw that last one in the corner of your screen here - it was picked up for the forum's "Photography Roundup," so it was in thumbnail form there last week I haven't posted on DPR in ages!

Here's the original of the first. I forgot you asked for the second one as well - hopefully I'll remember the next time I have that external HD out!