Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Telperion
Lens: K55/1.8 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Hastie Natural Area, Knoxville Tennessee ISO: 80 
Posted By: CreationBear, 11-15-2015, 04:58 PM

I found this sycamore catching the last of the winter sun this evening--an exuberant understory always makes it a bit of a challenge to "isolate" the proverbial tree from the forest in this part of the world, but hopefully I'll get a game-plan at some point.

Views: 1,470
11-15-2015, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah.. the source of the silver light in Valinor, such a shame to have fallen to Ungoliant's thirst. But this tree here..captured splendidly by the Pentaxian Bear of Creation... a sapling child of Nimloth the Fair no less. May it grow and shine on for the children of Isildur, until Eru Iluvatar brings new light to the Second People.
11-16-2015, 06:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha, thanks! Kind of a sketchy Bree-land (vs. New Zealand?) in this part of the world, but it has its moments when you catch the light right.
11-16-2015, 10:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Obviously I need to read The Silmarillion to truly appreciate this photo, but as it stands, I like it quite a bit Lovely framing of a beautiful tree

11-16-2015, 10:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got sucked in by the Tolkien reference

Well-spotted, and nice work on tough framing job. I think it turned out very well.
11-17-2015, 05:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Keitha, Luftluss--thanks for the comments...I have to say I must have looked pretty comical wading through the scrub-brush trying to find a "window" before the light went away.
11-17-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Telperion
That'll be you getting technical again with Tolkien.

11-17-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
getting technical again

Ha, now "Actaeon" would be technical...
11-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
now "Actaeon" would be technical...
Transformation isn't technical... it's sorcery, unless of course your discussing Greek mythology... well that's different and involved training.
11-17-2015, 06:30 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am totally lost, but I like the photograph.
11-17-2015, 09:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm yeah I'm lost too, what's the link between Telperion and a guy who saw some nymphs and paid for it with transformation and death? I mean the tree did transform a couple times, eventually into the moonlight guided by Tilion, but none of that was the tree's fault... It was just standing there looking pretty... kinda like your photograph
11-18-2015, 06:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha, sorry guys: easy to get lost in translation here in Kerrowdonia.

Otherwise:

And while they bathed Diana in their streams, Actaeon, wandering through the unknown woods, entered the precincts of that sacred grove; with steps uncertain wandered he as fate directed, for his sport must wait till morn.—soon as he entered where the clear springs welled or trickled from the grotto's walls, the nymphs, now ready for the bath, beheld the man, smote on their breasts, and made the woods resound, suddenly shrieking. Quickly gathered they to shield Diana with their naked forms, but she stood head and shoulders taller than her guards.—as clouds bright-tinted by the slanting sun, or purple-dyed Aurora, so appeared Diana's countenance when she was seen.
[187] Oh, how she wished her arrows were at hand! But only having water, this she took and dashed it on his manly countenance, and sprinkled with the avenging stream his hair, and said these words, presage of future woe; “Go tell it, if your tongue can tell the tale, your bold eyes saw me stripped of all my robes.”

Always a bad sign when the gods start using the subjunctive....
11-18-2015, 02:32 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keitha, Luftluss--thanks for the comments...I have to say I must have looked pretty comical wading through the scrub-brush trying to find a "window" before the light went away.
Isn't that what we do? No stirring seascapes or grand vistas... we tramp and scamper and scuttle and get cuts and bruises as we skulk about to find these little gems.

"I want to see mountains again, Gandalf - mountains... but [Frodo] is still in love with... woods and fields and little rivers." - Bilbo
11-18-2015, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
these little gems

Nice quote--I actually live close to some Last of the Mohicans vistas, but unless I can rouse myself to do the equivalent of an alpine start (or roll in late for supper) the light's usually better in my backyard. I spend a lot of time mulling over the logistics of getting "back of beyond" in the Smokies quickly enough, but alas, most of my lists begin with "1.) Build time machine."
11-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

easy to get lost in translation here in Kerrowdonia
Aye, even for residents.