Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Lightning
Lens: Sigma 17-70 f2.8-f4 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Carthage, Missouri ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 6s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: jhacker, 11-19-2015, 09:12 PM

I haven't had too many opportunities to photograph lightning this year. But two opportunities presented themselves in the past month and a half. I shot these on Nov. 16, 2015. Carthage High School is home of the Tigers, hence the water tower that says Tigers.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 860
11-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pretty awesome pictures. Last time I shot lightning I did it with a non-WR camera. I'm hoping the next time I'm shooting in the rain it will be with a water resistant Pentax. Did you just open the shutter and wait for the lightning to come? That's what I did. Opened the shutter for 8 seconds and hoped for the best. It worked.
11-19-2015, 09:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fotograffiti Quote
Pretty awesome pictures. Last time I shot lightning I did it with a non-WR camera. I'm hoping the next time I'm shooting in the rain it will be with a water resistant Pentax. Did you just open the shutter and wait for the lightning to come? That's what I did. Opened the shutter for 8 seconds and hoped for the best. It worked.
Yes, I was limited to shorter exposures because of the ambient light on the water tower. I didn't want to blow out the scene, so I went with low ISO 200 and a narrower aperture, F9 to F10, than I normally go with. I was still limited to six seconds before I started blowing out the water tower. If I'm out in a rural area where I don't have these lights, I'll open the shutter for 20 seconds or more depending on the frequency of the lightning.
11-20-2015, 05:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Nice capture.....thanks for posting.

11-20-2015, 06:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely done!
11-20-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jhacker Quote
Yes, I was limited to shorter exposures because of the ambient light on the water tower. I didn't want to blow out the scene, so I went with low ISO 200 and a narrower aperture, F9 to F10, than I normally go with. I was still limited to six seconds before I started blowing out the water tower. If I'm out in a rural area where I don't have these lights, I'll open the shutter for 20 seconds or more depending on the frequency of the lightning.
You did a good job of balancing both.