Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
Smooth the descent, and easy is the way
Lens: K20/4;K55/1.8 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Hastie Natural Area, Knoxville, Tennessee ISO: 80 
Posted By: CreationBear, 11-22-2015, 06:05 PM

A bit more wandering around in the gloaming this (late) afternoon:

Bluebird skies made it a bit tough, but it was nice to try some new approaches--this is my first "focus stack," for instance...nothing to write home about, but I'm thinking it will eventually give me a way of isolating subjects against the (very) busy backgrounds I run across in the part of the world.

Views: 720
11-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice bark texture in that last one, the technique worked, and I like the color in the third against the dark. That first tree survived significant trauma sometime in the distant past. Ask it to share its wisdom, and if you can clone it.
11-22-2015, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
and if you can clone it.

Thanks! I'm still waiting for the UT guys to bring back the American Chestnut, and then have a go at the devastated stands of Hemlock in this part of the world. I won't be seeing any giants in my lifetime, but I'd like to see at least a sapling or two make shift in this century.

At any rate, a nice day to be out--I find myself digging my K55/1.8 more and more...just an absurdly good deal, price/performance-wise.
11-22-2015, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting use of focus stacking - did you use specialized software? That first shot of the tough old survivor is my favorite too!

(PS - some rather extensive Hemlock treatment will be going on up our way this February!)

11-22-2015, 06:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mole Quote
some rather extensive Hemlock treatment

Thanks! Are you talking oil/soap treatment, or another round of "predator beetle"? I'll definitely have my fingers crossed, but I get a sense that there's not a silver bullet out there.
11-22-2015, 07:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Thanks! Are you talking oil/soap treatment, or another round of "predator beetle"? I'll definitely have my fingers crossed, but I get a sense that there's not a silver bullet out there.
Chemical treatment - not sure of all the details. This is a cooperative program between USFS, State Forest Service and TSP...