Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

A spider hatch from last night
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 06-26-2008, 10:21 AM

comments are always welcome.
Views: 2,857
06-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #16
Damn Brit

Nice shots Heinrich, four intrigues me. It looks like the in focus spiders are skating on ice (the pieces of web look like skate marks) and the OOF spiders are trapped underneath the ice. I like to see the extraordinary in the ordinary, stops the world from being too boring.
Gary

Last edited by Damn Brit; 06-29-2008 at 11:03 PM.
06-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kinda' like spider heaven for those that spiders.

Nice work and some nice angles.

Stephen
06-26-2008, 06:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Hi Mike, there are spiders and than there are spiders; this bunch is more than welcome they belong to the Orbweaver family and live on flies and mosquitos. We'll be lucky to have a few survive and stay here, they set themselfs loose on the wind on a piece of string.

Take care,
LOL... good to hear Heinrick. Yeah the garden spiders are cool and useful as long as they stay there. And heck, I'm really a big softy... If I find a garden spider inside (and even almost anything but black widows and brown recluses) I usually catch her in a shoe box or something and out she goes. They do cut down on the skeeters. Again, nice shots, and I like #4 best.

Mike
06-26-2008, 07:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I have to agree with the EEEEOOOOOWWWWWW!!!! I am not sure why I looked knowing it would be a bunch of creepy crawlies. Great shots and good lukc keeping them around.

06-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Nice shots Heinrich, four intrigues me. It looks like the in focus spiders are skating on ice (the pieces of web look like skate marks) and the OOF spiders are trapped underneath the ice. I like to see the extraordinary in the ordinary, stops the world from being to boring.
Gary
Hi Gary and thank you. Number four does look that way and it is fun to look at things that way.

Take care,
06-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Kinda' like spider heaven for those that spiders.

Nice work and some nice angles.

Stephen
Thanks Stephen, it is appreciated.

Take care,
06-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
I have to agree with the EEEEOOOOOWWWWWW!!!! I am not sure why I looked knowing it would be a bunch of creepy crawlies. Great shots and good lukc keeping them around.
Thank you Pat, I'm not complaining we do have a good number of them around the house and in the garden.

Take care,

06-26-2008, 10:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm with you Heinrich, I like the work that spiders do helping to keep the fly and mosquito population in check. Those guys are harmless. I do admit that when I find them all balled up together I do like to blow on them gently, or touch the web and watch them spread, kind of like the big bag theory (not as much fun as watching carbonated bubble in your beer but possibly a close second - ha ha). They do cluster back together and I leave them be.
06-27-2008, 12:24 AM   #24
Veteran Member

First, these are great shots. I've never seen anything like these images. I've only ran across that many spiders in a bunch like that once, over 35 years ago in a local canyon. Spiders are our friends. I love spiders in my garden. My mom used to always say, "If you want to live and thrive, let the spiders run alive". I can't squish a spider because of that little ditty running through my head when I see a spider to this day.
06-27-2008, 03:08 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Cute Im just waiting for MOM to turn up

cheers
06-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spyglass Quote
I'm with you Heinrich, I like the work that spiders do helping to keep the fly and mosquito population in check. Those guys are harmless. I do admit that when I find them all balled up together I do like to blow on them gently, or touch the web and watch them spread, kind of like the big bag theory (not as much fun as watching carbonated bubble in your beer but possibly a close second - ha ha). They do cluster back together and I leave them be.
Thank you for the kind comments, that is exactly how I took these pictures. They also seem to spread out in the sun and come back together when it gets cooler.

Take care,
06-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
First, these are great shots. I've never seen anything like these images. I've only ran across that many spiders in a bunch like that once, over 35 years ago in a local canyon. Spiders are our friends. I love spiders in my garden. My mom used to always say, "If you want to live and thrive, let the spiders run alive". I can't squish a spider because of that little ditty running through my head when I see a spider to this day.
Thank you LaRee, I like all spiders. Last winter we found a wolf spider in our kitchen (took his picture and put him in the green house) and last week I watched a little jumper catch a fly. (should post that picture)

Take care,
06-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Cute Im just waiting for MOM to turn up

cheers
Your waiting in vain, she's long gone.

Take care,