Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Winters First Snow
Photo Location: Northern Colorado ISO: 125 Shutter Speed: 1/25s Aperture: F32 
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 11-28-2015, 09:28 PM

I haven't posted here in a while, haven't taken many photos in a long time for that matter. Anyway, today I drove around my local area and did some large format photography.

Conditions weren't very good, with white snow, white skies and extreme overcast/snowy conditions. Light was rather flat and everything was monochrome. My spot meter measured 14.5 EV to 16 EV, so that tells you how flat it was. I had a fun time though and found a place that I want to go back to, just down the road from me.

These photos were taken with a Zone VI 4x5 camera and a Kodak Ektar 203mm F7.7 lens. I used a minus blue (wratten 12) filter to try to bring the contrast up. Film was Foma 200 rated at 120 and I developed it in Pyrocat MC for 8.5 minutes.

Old Homestead

Winters First Snow

Views: 945
11-28-2015, 11:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
I haven't posted here in a while, haven't taken many photos in a long time for that matter. Anyway, today I drove around my local area and did some large format photography.

Conditions weren't very good, with white snow, white skies and extreme overcast/snowy conditions. Light was rather flat and everything was monochrome. My spot meter measured 14.5 EV to 16 EV, so that tells you how flat it was. I had a fun time though and found a place that I want to go back to, just down the road from me.

These photos were taken with a Zone VI 4x5 camera and a Kodak Ektar 203mm F7.7 lens. I used a minus blue (wratten 12) filter to try to bring the contrast up. Film was Foma 200 rated at 120 and I developed it in Pyrocat MC for 8.5 minutes.

Old Homestead

Winters First Snow

My word, what wonderful photography. It has been some time since I have seen the excellent results a 4X5 format can produce. It is as though it just pulls everything in to itself and places it exactly where it should be. Therefore, nothing wasted. You are fortunate to live in such a beautiful state as Colorado. I lived in Boulder for quite some time and I mostly remember getting up in the morning, pulling back the curtains and there they were, "The Rocky Mountains." I would get a lump in my throat and say, "God Bless America." Thanks again for the terrific photos.
Regards,

Tonytee
11-29-2015, 03:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Both are beautiful photos. I think I like the first a little better.

Thank you for sharing.
11-29-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful. As good as B&W gets!

Jer

11-30-2015, 12:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone.

Yeah, since I discovered film, especially large format photography, I've really been neglecting my DSLR. I still use the DSLR, but it is mostly used for wildlife and moving/action shots now.

You just can't beat large format film, especially the perspective controls you get with movements.