Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ducks, Finches, and Crane? in flight
Posted By: cputeq, 06-27-2008, 07:01 PM

Long rant, pictures below.

Went to the duck / bird spot today with the daughter. I'm really disappointed in the keeper percentage, and it's almost all my fault.

1) Spot metering. I wasn't using it. All the shots of white birds are blown, and ever after 100% recovery I'm having a hell of a time getting detail. I tried a -3EV brush and it recovered some detail, but the bird was dark grey *sigh* I dunno wtf I was thinking being in zone. I think I may have been in ISO Dynamic Range mode, but I can't remember. If I was, it sure as hell didn't help (then again, this may be because of my metering mode).

2) Bringing a highly active 2-year-old is not condusive to actually being able to photograph.

3) Fast snapshots with shake reduction enabled may actually be a bad thing. I had some motion blur/OOF with a couple of very fast exposures (1/750s, 1/1000 and I think a 1/2000s) that I can only attribute to the SR kicking in at precisely the wrong damn time.

Needless to say, $700 in processing software and $1500 in camera gear mean absolutely nothing when you aren't using your head. I'm pretty mad at myself for not paying attention. *sigh* Still much to learn.

This guy landed very close to me. I managed to get a shot off while carrying the daughter. SR probably saved this one.

Landing Sequence

I caught this guy in flight and snapped about 8 pictures. This is the only one in focus (daughter swaying/kicking > SR)

Bird on Asphalt
If there's ever a pavement predator, this guy has his camo covered.

Duck in Nasty Water
I supposed a CP filter would have helped here. And yes, the water is really that color. Gross!

Views: 1,349
06-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #2

really really nice series!
i like 1, 3 and 4

great job!!!
06-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice pictures, all four of them. Thanks for posting them,

Take care,