Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A Week in Washington DC - 18 (count 'em) images
Posted By: Sailor, 06-28-2008, 02:29 PM

I spent last week in Washington at a technical conference. I had to do some work, including presenting a paper, but I had plenty of time to see the sights and shoot some pictures - a real delight for me, since I haven't been to DC since I was in the Army in the early '70's.

Here is an eclectic series of images I picked out of the 360 shots I took. All were taken with my DS2 and three "pancake" Limited lenses. Sorry for the length of this post - but once I got started PPing (you know what I mean), pasting and posting I couldn't stop.

Jer

White House:

Lincoln Memorial:

The people's public servants:

The people's contract with the government - the Constitution viewed in the National Archives:

A detail of the foyer in the Smithsonian's Natural History Museum and other images (including a colleague lost in the Amazon):

Statues (including the obligatory bird-on-head shot):

Near the Washington Monument:

For my DAD - who was in the 180th Inf, 45th Inf Division and who fought from Anzio to Dachau - the WWII Monument:

Korean War Monument:

Views: 967
06-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I LOVE the washington monument shot.

Was it polarized?
06-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
I LOVE the washington monument shot.

Was it polarized?
Thanks, MJB. The shot wasn't polarized - I used the spot meter and metered a few degrees off the sun, locked in the exposure and reframed, something I learned to do with my FE.

In my film days, I carried a plethora of filters - Cokins, polarizers, B&W filters et. absolutely al. Nowdays, I practice Thoreau's approach - I go simple.

Jer
06-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jer, you have some wonderful images here and since I have never been to Washington they are of much interest to me. Thanks for posting them,

take care

06-29-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Thanks, MJB. The shot wasn't polarized - I used the spot meter and metered a few degrees off the sun, locked in the exposure and reframed, ...
Been using that trick for decades and use it often. Commonly prompts that, 'How'd you do that?' moment. Comes in handy for many situations when you're trying to get the right exposure on a subject in a scene with drastically varying light.

Love the pictures. I've never been to DC, but hope to visit before I retire.
06-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Jer, you have some wonderful images here and since I have never been to Washington they are of much interest to me. Thanks for posting them,

take care
My pleasure - you ought to make the trip. Heinrich. With your eye, you'd bring back some real winners!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Love the pictures. I've never been to DC, but hope to visit before I retire.
Thanks much. When you go, take some walking shoes.

Jer