Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Gamelands
Lens: Forks of the River WMA, Knoxville, Tennessee Camera: K5 Photo Location: K28/3.5; K55/1.8 ISO: 80 
Posted By: CreationBear, 12-17-2015, 06:59 PM

This afternoon found me wandering through the Wildlife Management Area on the south side of the confluence of the Holston and French Broad rivers...drizzle and clouds were slow to dissipate after last night's front had pushed through, so no special light to work with, but what was there show some hints of a hardscrabble East Tennessee Christmas.

Views: 727
12-17-2015, 10:02 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
This afternoon found me wandering through the Wildlife Management Area on the south side of the confluence of the Holston and French Broad rivers...drizzle and clouds were slow to dissipate after last night's front had pushed through, so no special light to work with, but what was there show some hints of a hardscrabble East Tennessee Christmas.

Absolutely wonderful series of photos. I just really appreciate and enjoy the many beautiful, lush, green forests that we here in this country have to be in awe of. I have one question, please. What is the genus of the thorn bush in your last photograph? I used to know that info., however, my memory banks are closed at times. ) Thanks again for an excellent series to view.

Regards,

Tonytee
12-18-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tony--

Thanks for the kind words!

To answer your question, that's honey locust (Gleditsia triacanthos)--it's a pretty common "succession species" on old, grown-up former farmland, though black locust is more common in our older woodlands in this part of the world. As you might expect, those thorns aren't just for show--they'll go through tire treads (or tennis shoes!) with no problem. (FWIW, one of the more interesting theories I've seen is that honey locust is a reminder of days back in the Pleistocene when thick-skinned herbivores--think mammoths and rhino's--roamed this part of North America, which explains the "overkill" aspect of their thorns in relationship to our modern, thin-skinned, species.)
12-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Enjoyable series. You never know what you will find in the forest.

12-18-2015, 06:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
You never know what you will find in the forest.

Or more importantly, perhaps, who.

Thanks for the comment--glad it caught your eye.

Last edited by CreationBear; 12-18-2015 at 06:59 PM.
12-19-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Or more importantly, perhaps, who.
Is that a bit like...

If you go down to the woods today,
You're sure of a big surprise.
If you go down to the woods today,
You'd better go in disguise.
For every bear that ever there was
Will gather there for certain because
Today's the day the teddy bears have their picnic.

12-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha, mainly I don't want to bump into tweekers doing the one-pot meth thing...bears are rather more predictable (and future-time oriented.)

12-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
bears are rather more predictable
Depends if your carrying Porridge on your person or not.