Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Not Afraid of Heights
Posted By: Mike Cash, 06-29-2008, 06:07 AM

Pentak K100D
S-M-C Takumar 105/2.8

A repair worker at the UCC#1 empty container yard in Tokyo's Ooi wharf perches precariously atop an 8 foot 6 inch high container as he concentrates on doing some welding.
Views: 1,860
06-29-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It's amazing that some people can do this sort of stuff and not be worried ... I have seen how some people have been perched off the edge of new multi-storey complexes and work at building sites ... it'd freak me out that's for sure.

I think from memory you took a similar shot a while ago and applied different processing to it ... then again ... I think my mind is playing tricks on me on nightshift.
06-29-2008, 06:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Half you luck being able to have some down time during N/S

cheers
06-29-2008, 06:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
It's amazing that some people can do this sort of stuff and not be worried ... I have seen how some people have been perched off the edge of new multi-storey complexes and work at building sites ... it'd freak me out that's for sure.
I would be well-ballasted by the huge load of poop I would crap into my socks if I had to do this sort of thing.

QuoteQuote:
I think from memory you took a similar shot a while ago and applied different processing to it ... then again ... I think my mind is playing tricks on me on nightshift.
Your mind is working just fine. You're referring to one of the versions of this scene:

06-29-2008, 06:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

hahahaha ... so true about the ballast.

Now I remember ... not quite the same shot ... but I was sure it was to do with welding up containers previously.

How much of your M42 gear do you carry with you in the truck on the odd day??? Just one body and just choose a lens for the day ... or do you take a few lenses???? I was tempted to pack a body and just one lens attached and shoot what I see on my day-to-day driving around Sydney while delivering.
06-29-2008, 06:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
How much of your M42 gear do you carry with you in the truck on the odd day??? Just one body and just choose a lens for the day ... or do you take a few lenses???? I was tempted to pack a body and just one lens attached and shoot what I see on my day-to-day driving around Sydney while delivering.
I don't carry all of it, because all of it won't fit in my camera bag. At the moment I'm carrying the Spotmatic ESII and K100D (with adapter and aluminum foil), extension tubes, and for glass am carrying:

35/3.5
50/1.4
105/2.8
135/3.5
200/4

The K100D always goes in the bag for work, and whether I carry K-mounts or M42 depends entirely upon which film body I decide to carry. If I take the ME then I will swap out the screwmounts for K-mounts. If the ESII or SV, then the M42 stuff goes back in again.

I would encourage you to carry something along with you on your delivery rounds. Makes the day a whole hell of a lot more interesting and you'll see the city in a different way.
06-29-2008, 06:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I was just thinking of taking screwmounts and one body ... just not sure on the lenses to take.

I was thinking on the following:

28mm f/3.5
35mm f/3.5 (when i go and pick it up)
105mm f/2.8
200mm f/4

I really don't want to take the 85 along to work with me as it is too valuable (and hard to find in decent quality) ... amd on the odd occasion I have to run a few blocks in the city and need to park the ute in the loading zones along the streets which isn't the most secure either.

I am not always in the city ... but the other day it could have come in handy to have the camera on me ... although I have been pretty busy and hardly get time to stop throughout my day.

06-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just one lens? Probably the 35/3.5 since it is a nice compromise focal length between normal and something more wide angle.....plus the neato hyperfocal markings on the lens make it easy to use as a P&S.

If I had to do the running about picking up and dropping off that you do, I would just take a Konica C35 in a belt pouch. Nice Hexanon 38/2.8 lens, fully automatic exposure, anything above f5.6 worth of light lets you get by with hyperfocal (easily accomplished with ISO400 film, or even ISO200 in most cases). Available in both rangefinder and zone-focus models. They have the light meter just above the lens, which allows for automatic compensation for filters.

Here's my spousal unit using my zone-focus C35, picked up at auction for about 10 bucks (the camera, not the spousal unit):

Some photos from it.

And some photos from the rangefinder version
06-29-2008, 07:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Spousal unit, eh?
06-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I'm not afraid of heights - I'm afraid of falling! A brief stint as a TV tower installer cured me of the acrophobia.

And Mike - 'spousal unit' sounds so .... clinical.
06-30-2008, 05:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This photo on Flickr picked up hits at an astounding (for me, anyway) rate the first two or three hours it was up, reaching about 250 hits in a very short time. A little checking revealed that a Spanish language link collection site had picked it up as an example of dangerous working conditions in Japan. I found that sort of unfair, as the guy no doubt got into that position by his own choice.

I took an A4 print of it to work with me today, as I knew I would be going to the container yard where he works. I handed the photo off to the guys at the check-in desk and asked them to pass it along if they could figure out who the man in the photo is. They called a guy in from the repair area and he came out to the truck and thanked me for it. He seemed really pleased with it. I told him I had a favor to ask...."Try to work more safely; I thought you were going to fall off there any second. And don't show that picture to your mother!"