Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  
Holy smokes...who still smoking....
Posted By: Pentax Mainer, 12-22-2015, 11:25 AM

When I get bored I go back and do the classic smoke closeup and some macro. Started this when I read a blurb on it 6 years ago. But I don't see mcuh anymore...kind of like droplets..was a big thing especially when controllers like the Camera Axe came out etc.

Anyway..this is with the K-3II and my Adaptall 23A in macro mode. I wanted to see how this lens worked compared to my Adaptall 01A.

Now the only photoshop altering was just a simple gradient layer since, to me, after a while the same old blue color gets boring.

Fun thing with smoke is the different abstract shapes you get. Yah I have plenty of of the typical rolling smoke but I have found there are far more interesting features if you pop off enough shots...things I don't see in the live view or even the preview. I only see it while editing.

I shoot it in RAW and have been trying DXO Pro 10 but trial just ran out so processing RAW in the stock DCU5 until I get some money to buy DXO 10. I'm no post processing genius so DCU or DXO works fine then off to PSE13.

I was at minimum macro which on the 23A is 1:4. Use a cheap rail to focus. Always have a low success rate as smoke wavers in and out of focus too much. End up with a lot of...oh man thats killer accept...its slightly out of focus...again!!

Views: 3,236
12-29-2015, 08:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the details on your technique! Definitely gave me some ideas to try!
Al

12-30-2015, 05:00 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Mainer Quote
Like I said flash is set 90 to the camera and is just a few inches from the incense. Generally I like to light it from slightly underneath...but straight on sideways works as well.

Last is some type of modeling light...I am not a pro sand so I use what I have. In this case I use a wand type LED flashlight but originally I used one of those small halogen goosneck desk lamp...actually worked the best. You need to see the smoke clearly to focus and see when to release the shutter. The light shines from the opposite side as the flash.
Thanks for the information, I also use common household lamps and flashlights lighting devices so it's interesting to see what you've done. I really like these photos, now I want to give it a try as well
12-30-2015, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #18

Original Poster
I realize most easily get the simplicity of the setup but here is a shot of it in action using my K20d.
Notice the high tech equipment...yah thats a box of poptarts the flash is sitting on but hey..their organic poptarts so...ya know..they are healthy..:-)
12-30-2015, 04:15 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The shot of the setup really helps.

12-31-2015, 11:30 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Was hoping to do some snowflake macro today but....the snow is mostly freezing crystals so...did a few more incense smoke figures. My wife calls em jellyfish and aliens...I guess I see that too.

Hopefully some people might look at this venue and try it again. There so much more to see than the typical plumes.

---------- Post added 12-29-15 at 10:55 AM ----------

These are great!
01-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #21
mee
Veteran Member

I am appreciative of the compliments. I enjoy this quite a bit now. When I first did it maybe 6 years ago I just looked at them as smoke pics until a few years later I started to see other abstract images within the smoke. Kind of a lot like looking at clouds and saying hey..that one looks like face..or a wabbit...( thats right...wabbit). Then by simply using a gradient layer and using a hue or color blend mode I found you can highlight certain features better.
Kind of turned into an abstract art thing although I dod not alter the photo's much other than hue...no trickery.
So...can you see the womens figured that looks like it is seated slightly in this one...kind of like she is behind a flowing veil or a ghostly image. Or......I am just staring at my screen WAY too much today.
Either way thank you for the kind words.
To me, there is a woman angled and facing away from the camera. Very interesting!
01-24-2016, 08:11 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

I still do it once or twice a year when bored and it is nasty out have done it twice this year already here are a couple from this week

01-24-2016, 08:42 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if a small fan or a reall hot light bulb, or a tray of ice, , or a drafty room would change the shapes?
01-25-2016, 06:45 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I wonder if a small fan or a reall hot light bulb, or a tray of ice, , or a drafty room would change the shapes?
Yah..it would and it does not take much to distort it or simply blow it away. Just a slight draft will blow it away completely. What I found the best was slight movement of the source of the smoke...such as vibrating..shaking or a quick jolt.

Just being a few feet away and breathing can make it blow away. Usually found good results when the smoke just started to recover from being blown around.

Wondered how using dry ice in a bowl just above the film plane would work as a source. Can't be too thick of a plume so you would have to fiddle with having just enough water in the bowl to create a trail but not so much it was so thick you didn't get that semi transparent effect.
01-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wondered how using dry ice in a bowl just above the film plane would work as a source.
That would be good, especially with the same lighting you've been using.

I was also thinking that the really cold bowl of dry ice might affect high the incense smoke curls. Maybe not at all. Any way, thanks for the tips, I need to pick up some sticks the next time out.