Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Christmas Colors
Lens: FA 31 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Houston, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 12-24-2015, 02:17 PM

With highs in the low 80's F (), I've been unable to summon the mindset to photograph holiday scenes around town. So, I've improvised for this Christmas post by attaching pics of a couple of cars - green and red - that I took back in October at a small Porsche concours in Houston.

The green car is a 1967 Porsche 911 - a very early example with a 2.0L flat six putting out around 130 HP and something you certainly don't see every day. This car looked to be in good shape, although modified a bit for daily use; '66 and '67 911s in good condition can fetch 40 grand US (I discovered after a bit of research), and pristine original examples can easily bring six figures.

The red 911 - a stunning example of the 964 generation - was manufactured much later in the early '90s, but the engine (now 3.6L), body structure and much sheet metal are direct (in some cases identical) descendents of the cars built in the '60s. So these two cars bring both the colors of Christmas and demonstrate the kind of strong traditions we associate with the holidays (I know it's a stretch, but the best I can do).

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Jer





Views: 713
12-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 5,216
A Porsche Christmas...a wonderful idea !

Your photograph of the dark green '67 Porsche evokes some pleasant memories. My wife and I were on holiday in the UK in May or June of '74. We were driving in a rental Austin Marina 1275cc, (remember those) along a typical winding, country road and had just come to a stop at an intersection. I recall thinking how absolutely green the trees and bushes were alongside the road, when I could here a rasping engine note of an engine running through the gears.

It was a green 911 Porsche and the car's dark green contrasted vividly with the lighter green roadside flora.

I also remember thinking...too bad I was in the orangey red, rental Austin and not in the 911.

Thanks for providing those pics of those beautiful Porsches, particularly the green '67. Since the introduction of the 911 (and 912) in the '60's, I've always regarded the styling of these cars as timeless and stunningly beautiful.

Merry Xmas,

Les
12-25-2015, 03:34 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 31,685
Wrap it and put it under my tree!
12-25-2015, 07:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,848
Merry Christmas Jer. Wouldn't those make a wonderful present under someone's tree.

12-27-2015, 07:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,219
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
A Porsche Christmas...a wonderful idea !

Your photograph of the dark green '67 Porsche evokes some pleasant memories. My wife and I were on holiday in the UK in May or June of '74. We were driving in a rental Austin Marina 1275cc, (remember those) along a typical winding, country road and had just come to a stop at an intersection. I recall thinking how absolutely green the trees and bushes were alongside the road, when I could here a rasping engine note of an engine running through the gears.

It was a green 911 Porsche and the car's dark green contrasted vividly with the lighter green roadside flora.

I also remember thinking...too bad I was in the orangey red, rental Austin and not in the 911.

Thanks for providing those pics of those beautiful Porsches, particularly the green '67. Since the introduction of the 911 (and 912) in the '60's, I've always regarded the styling of these cars as timeless and stunningly beautiful.

Merry Xmas,

Les
Thanks for looking, Les - and I'm glad you liked the shots. My first experience with a Porsche was in '70 when - while I was in grad school - I test drove a 912 (dark green!). I thought it was wonderful, but the car was well beyond our budget; I still think about that car once and a while.

By the way, I recently subscribed to Hemming's Sports and Exotic Cars, with which you may be familiar. Focusing on classic sports cars, it includes stories of restorations, histories of various models, major auction results, travelogues among other things.

Have a great New Year.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Wrap it and put it under my tree!
EM, I'll have it sent your way.

Happy New Year.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Merry Christmas Jer. Wouldn't those make a wonderful present under someone's tree.
I hope you had a nice Christmas, Susan. Happy New Year!

Jer
12-27-2015, 08:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
volley's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Springe
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,664
The green one lookes wonderful Buddy, thanks for posting these!
Hope you had a great Christmas with your family.

Not 80's here, but still fairly warm ... about 12C was just about right for a 100 mile ride on the motorbike today!

Take care, and say hi to Connie!
12-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 5,216
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Thanks for looking, Les - and I'm glad you liked the shots. My first experience with a Porsche was in '70 when - while I was in grad school - I test drove a 912 (dark green!). I thought it was wonderful, but the car was well beyond our budget; I still think about that car once and a while.

My first experience with a Porsche was back in the late '60's. When I finished high school, I worked as a reporter and photographer for a regional business magazine. I recall interviewing a woman who had her own business consultancy company. During the course of the interview, she mentioned that she was a Porsche addict and asked me if I wanted to see her 356 Cabriolet , which was in her garage.

I certainly did.

Can't recall the colour, etc, but I did remember the brief ride she gave me. It was exhilarating. Not racer fast exhilarating, but wonderful to go down some of the streets in her neighbourhood, with the Porsche top down , under a canopy of mature elm trees, all the time listening to the beat of the Porsche flat four.


By the way, I recently subscribed to Hemming's Sports and Exotic Cars, with which you may be familiar. Focusing on classic sports cars, it includes stories of restorations, histories of various models, major auction results, travelogues among other things.

Have a great New Year.


Jer

Have a great new year.

I'm very familiar with Hemmings Sports and Exotic Cars. I'm also a subscriber. I enjoy it very much. In some ways it reminds me of the old Sports Car Graphic magazine, of many decades ago.

The Hemmings magazine takes me back to the old days when I was a kid. In my burg, back then, we had an active sports car fraternity. I used to see everything from early Lotus, '50's/'60's Jags, a whole horde of British sports cars, such as MG's, Triumph, Austin Healey. Even the small English, fibreglas sports car, the Berkeley which had a variety of motorcycle engines.

Les
12-28-2015, 07:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,219
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
The green one lookes wonderful Buddy, thanks for posting these!
Hope you had a great Christmas with your family.

Not 80's here, but still fairly warm ... about 12C was just about right for a 100 mile ride on the motorbike today!

Take care, and say hi to Connie!
Hey, my friend, I hope you enjoyed the ride and I hope you and yours have a great New Year.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Have a great new year.

I'm very familiar with Hemmings Sports and Exotic Cars. I'm also a subscriber. I enjoy it very much. In some ways it reminds me of the old Sports Car Graphic magazine, of many decades ago.

The Hemmings magazine takes me back to the old days when I was a kid. In my burg, back then, we had an active sports car fraternity. I used to see everything from early Lotus, '50's/'60's Jags, a whole horde of British sports cars, such as MG's, Triumph, Austin Healey. Even the small English, fibreglas sports car, the Berkeley which had a variety of motorcycle engines.

Les
Thanks, Les. I envy you for that ride in a 356 - I'd love to do the same.

Hemmings does bring back memories of Sports Car Graphic, now that you mention it. I also idolized the cars you list, although the Berkeley is a new one on me.

The magazine is only 10 bucks (US) a year - a bargain in my view.

Jer


Last edited by Sailor; 12-28-2015 at 08:57 AM.
12-29-2015, 07:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian
cupic's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia-NSW
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,763
Always have had a soft spot for the Porsche ,beauty in design and practicability
The Best in the New Year Jer

cheers
12-30-2015, 06:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,219
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Always have had a soft spot for the Porsche ,beauty in design and practicability
The Best in the New Year Jer

cheers
Thanks so much, Ivan. Happy New Year to you, my friend.

Jer
12-30-2015, 08:33 AM   #11
Senior Member
coa75's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nis
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 265
This green one is so beautiful

Happy New Year and Christmas
12-31-2015, 06:50 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,219
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by coa75 Quote
This green one is so beautiful

Happy New Year and Christmas
It is, indeed - clean, purposeful lines that are truly elegant. Thanks for looking and Happy New Year.

Jer
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bit, camera, car, cars, christmas, colors, holidays, photo, porsche, six
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macro Christmas Colors GeoJerry Post Your Photos! 8 07-11-2018 10:37 AM
Nature Christmas colors Knock Post Your Photos! 0 12-25-2013 09:49 PM
June 2010 Winner: Complementary Colors: Colors tbandopadhyay Winners' Showcase 8 10-09-2010 03:06 AM
Wow - K-x has 20 body colors and 5 grips colors in Japan! nosnoop Pentax News and Rumors 109 11-06-2009 10:59 PM
Testing monitor colors vs scanner colors photolady95 Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 3 09-28-2009 07:25 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:05 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top