Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
My 12 year old grand daughter's photography
Lens: Tamron 17-70 f/2.9 Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Home 
Posted By: NancyK, 12-27-2015, 06:50 PM

My 12 year old granddaughter took these photos. I think she does great, but wanted to get some 'unbiased' feedback and critique for her to review.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Views: 734
12-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
She's done very well with all shots having good composition and the lighting is good. May I suggest she increases her aperture from the F4 she was using to F8 to F11 to get a better Depth of field which will have more in forcus but still create Bokeh for the background. I would also increase the shutter speed from between 100 to 200 psec to avoid any camera shake. Hope this helps.
12-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice! #3 is particularly good. She got the composition just right and the focus right on.
12-27-2015, 09:13 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, great stuff. It looks like she has a natural eye.

Mainly, let her take lots of pictures. Does she have her own DSLR?

Also would work towards getting her away from Program mode. Have her try SV, AV and TV mode and play around with different apertures, shutter speeds and ISO to get a feel for how that changes things. Mainly, learning to take some more control over the basic parameters. Not that Program mode is bad, but IMHO she will learn more if she uses the different settings to understand what all of those "numbers" mean.

I was 12 when I started with photography. She has a better eye for composition and lighting than I did at that age.

12-27-2015, 10:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
Wow, great stuff. It looks like she has a natural eye.

Mainly, let her take lots of pictures. Does she have her own DSLR?

Also would work towards getting her away from Program mode. Have her try SV, AV and TV mode and play around with different apertures, shutter speeds and ISO to get a feel for how that changes things. Mainly, learning to take some more control over the basic parameters. Not that Program mode is bad, but IMHO she will learn more if she uses the different settings to understand what all of those "numbers" mean.

I was 12 when I started with photography. She has a better eye for composition and lighting than I did at that age.
Very nicely done. That Tamron lens and the Pentax camera seem to be a good combination. I agree that it would be a good suggestion that she learn from the ground up sort of speak by using and learning all the manual features. Going on Auto-Pict or P., can cause one to get lazy. Not that I did, of course.

Thanks, Tony

Last edited by Tonytee; 12-27-2015 at 10:59 PM. Reason: I made a mistrake. :)
12-28-2015, 07:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks great to me! I haven't been able to interest my 11-year-old granddaughter in the delights of photography.

Jer
12-28-2015, 08:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I really like #2 & 3. She does have a good eye and you must be very proud of her.
12-28-2015, 08:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Rather than offer a critique, I'm just going to applaud her interest and desire.

I remember when I was a 12 y/o with my K1000. I just enjoyed taking pictures for the joy of creating a picture. My subjects were lego buidlings, stuffed animals in various poses and other things that interested me.

I don't know how I would have reacted, nor how I really could have processed an "adult" critique of my photos. I know I had to learn how aperture, shutter speed and iso worked together so I didn't get a black frame, but depth of field and bokeh meant nothing.

Would it have really helped to receive the same honest criticisms I started getting in 2008 when I started marketing my work as a 41 y/o? I don't know, I may have given up on photography. Heck, in 2008 I almost did after harsh comment after harsh comment was posted about most of my images.

On the flip side, I don't think superfluous praise is helpful either. It reminds me of a local camera club meeting I attended where they made a special "Under 13" category for the one young photographer. He took home several awards, basically by default. He was also one of the most arrogant kids I ever met. He was more than happy to comment on other's photos and reference his awards as validation of his expertise. I remember one member and his grandmother almost getting into a physical altercation because the kid made a snarky "artiste" comment about the man's photo and the man offered a fair (but brutal) comment about one of the kid's photos. The grandmother quickly responded with her own verbal joust.

So rather than offer critiques of these images, I offer my favorite photo website of all time: Luminous Landscape. I have probably learned more about creating digital art from that website, than any other. Maybe point her to the website, or others and let her critique her own work at first. Let her learn about DoF, ETTR and other technical "stuff" at her own pace.

When she's ready for adult critiques, she'll probably create an account here and post the photos herself. Until then, I applaud her creative experimentation and hope she finds photography to be a fulfilling lifelong experience.

12-28-2015, 06:12 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your nice comments and ideas. I will see her soon and share your thoughts. Thanks again!
12-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
KDD
Veteran Member

Cool.