Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Navajo Lands Northern Arizona
Posted By: clarenceclose, 02-09-2007, 06:14 PM

Coming back from our trip we went to the scenic overlook at the northern end of the Navajo Reservation and their I talked with a local jewelery merchant. He told me of the 'other' route to Kanab, which I had never been and pointed out, from our lofty overlook, the road along the base of the Vermillion Cliffs as well as some points of interest so we tripped back down the mountain and took the road across the desert to the back of the cliff surrounds. Well worth the trip.

Pano shot from the overlook.

Larger take of the end of the cliffs. You can barely make out the road around the end. Also you are looking at the tops of the canyon with the Colorado River in the bottom.

Canyon at Lee's Ferry

Looking straight down at the edges of the river. This doesn't look like colorado (red) but more like verde (green). When the river is at high flow I am sure the color changes to red due to the abundance of red rock/sand/dirt in the area. Believe me, it is a long ways down to the river.

Formations above the canyon at Lee's Ferry. This is where the Colorado color would come to the river.

Preemptive comment: The borders are a style I use and I understand some don't like them, but then again, some do.

C&C appreciated.

Last edited by clarenceclose; 02-09-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Views: 2,266
02-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Clarence, these images are really compelling. I haven't been in this part of the country for - literally - decades. Now I'm ready to go again.

Thanks for posting these shots!

Jer

02-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Good work!
02-10-2007, 06:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
A couple years ago, on a different forum a friend asked me to play with some of the tools in Photoshop that get little mention in popular literature-"just to see if they had any use for photographers."

I believe from your comments that what you think you are seeing is JPEG artifacts-hence the compression suggestion. Some people have difficulty seeing these artifacts because of, well many reasons and I need not embarrass anyone by making a specific identification---let's just do the 'numbers' and see what happens.

In Photoshop, under the Image menu, Adjustments...> Threshold... And everything turns B&W--don't worry, we'll cancel before doing damage. Move the dialog off the image and locate the slider on the graph with the mouse pointer. Now, while watching the image, drag that slider left and right, slowly.

JPEG compression removes colors with close similarity; and it does it in 8 by 8 blocks-it's complicated, take my word. As you move the slider a good image will have a gradual shift from black to white--very smooth, very even. One with JPEG artifacts will run in fits and spurts--bands and blocks->squares and rectangles. Look especially in smooth gradient areas like sky, or flat walls, roads etc.

Rather than specifying a fixed compression number like 8 or 10, each user should compress to where only a minimum amount of blocks and bands are noticed with this 'by the numbers' trick. Ideally they should stop compressing while they still have a smooth gradient from light to dark and back when using this threshold tool as described. That would be the point where one has removed all redundant information without sacrificing IQ.

When you are done watching the show cancel the Threshold dialog and the image will be back, undamaged.
Thanks a bunch for this lesson. I love learning new and interesting stuff.
Tried it on the photos I posted and sure enough there were some artifacts in the sky and in the green of the river shots, the heavy darkness of the canyon walls but in the main points of the photos there were reasonable gradations from black to white.
The originals show no such artifacts
Making photos viewable in reasonable size for the web would still entail getting them in .jpg format and having to accept some artifacts, would it not?

Last edited by clarenceclose; 02-10-2007 at 07:02 PM.
02-11-2007, 12:47 AM   #19

great shots clarence. that's exactly how i remember that part of the country looking when i was out there (before i knew how to use a camera). how did you manage those downward shots at the river? i'm not sure i could keep my balance looking down like that, especially through a viewfinder. it's quite impressive.

02-11-2007, 03:35 AM   #20
roy
Inactive Account

i always love your shots!!
02-11-2007, 08:41 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Another excellent series, Clarence!

That 4th image is very interstesting in how you presented it.....Very nicely done.