Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Navajo Lands Northern Arizona
Posted By: clarenceclose, 02-09-2007, 06:14 PM

Coming back from our trip we went to the scenic overlook at the northern end of the Navajo Reservation and their I talked with a local jewelery merchant. He told me of the 'other' route to Kanab, which I had never been and pointed out, from our lofty overlook, the road along the base of the Vermillion Cliffs as well as some points of interest so we tripped back down the mountain and took the road across the desert to the back of the cliff surrounds. Well worth the trip.

Pano shot from the overlook.

Larger take of the end of the cliffs. You can barely make out the road around the end. Also you are looking at the tops of the canyon with the Colorado River in the bottom.

Canyon at Lee's Ferry

Looking straight down at the edges of the river. This doesn't look like colorado (red) but more like verde (green). When the river is at high flow I am sure the color changes to red due to the abundance of red rock/sand/dirt in the area. Believe me, it is a long ways down to the river.

Formations above the canyon at Lee's Ferry. This is where the Colorado color would come to the river.

Preemptive comment: The borders are a style I use and I understand some don't like them, but then again, some do.

C&C appreciated.

Last edited by clarenceclose; 02-09-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Views: 2,245
02-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Having been there, I can attest that this is really what it looks like! My pictures just don't show it, b/c that was before I knew how to use a camera other than on P mode. :ugh: Just hope I can go back.

I like the borders, Clarence (maybe not the first one), but your text in the post is too big.
02-09-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful part of the world Clarence...and you have done it justice with your photos.

Hope to get back there one day.
Cheers
Grant
02-09-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Beautiful shots, but I think you selected a too high JPG compression.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-09-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Beautiful images!
02-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Beautiful shots, but I think you selected a too high JPG compression.
Mo...pardon the ignorance, but what do you mean by that? and how do you select something else.
Thanks for the advice.
Grant
02-09-2007, 07:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Clarence stunning photos, as usual I especially like the pair looking down into the green Colorado, I can almost get vertigo just looking at them!

NaCl(I see Jer's pics and I want a boat, I see yours and I want to travel...what's a guy to do?)H2O
02-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #8

Where did you take the straight down shots from?? it appears as if you were on a bridge with a hole in it, or you have mastered the art of levitation!!

I love the shots, but am inclined to agree with Mo.

D

02-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #9
Inactive Account

It's great to see such an, to me, exotic place. Good pictures, a joy to look at.
"Looking straight down at the edges of the river." The left one is my favourite immediately catching my interest.

I can't believe anyone ever said anything about your heavy borders. Boring nitpicking b@stards!

regards,
02-09-2007, 07:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dudlew Quote
Where did you take the straight down shots from?? it appears as if you were on a bridge with a hole in it, or you have mastered the art of levitation!!

I love the shots, but am inclined to agree with Mo.

D
Thank you for your comments and appreciations.

The river shots, and specifically the left hand one, are a couple of my favorites turning out just as I wanted them and as to how I got them.....

Well you put your camera on multiple shots, get back about 100 yards and run like the devil is on your tail. When you get to the edge, leap for all you are worth and, keeping your camera pointed down, hold down the shutter release until you hit the other side rolling.....or you could just use the walk bridge and hang over the edge.

I did these RAW/DNG then PP in PS (don't you just love abbreviations?). From there I used a screen capture utility to get a snap of the file without saving it from it's original format. These are captured .jpg and I suspect 72dpi. Some monitors will access 96dpi so that may be the reason some see it worse than others.
02-09-2007, 07:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Clarence you are on fire. Great shots.
02-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Mo...pardon the ignorance, but what do you mean by that? and how do you select something else.
Thanks for the advice.
Grant
You have to use an image editor (i.e. Photoshop) to add frames around your photos, and when saving images for online viewing, you usually select how much you want the files to be compressed.

JPEG compression ranges from 1-12, and the higher the number, the more details there are in the photo and the larger your filesize gets. Avoid 12, however, since it generally adds redundant data to the files without improving the quality.

Files from your camera range from 11 to 9, and 8 is recommended for online photos.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

*snip*
Files from your camera range from 11 to 9, and 8 is recommended for online photos.
I didn't know that! I've been always using 10. Well I'll use 8 from now on

NaCl(I'm having a Martha Stewart moment)H2O
02-09-2007, 11:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Trick for seeing JPEG artifacts.

A couple years ago, on a different forum a friend asked me to play with some of the tools in Photoshop that get little mention in popular literature-"just to see if they had any use for photographers."

I believe from your comments that what you think you are seeing is JPEG artifacts-hence the compression suggestion. Some people have difficulty seeing these artifacts because of, well many reasons and I need not embarrass anyone by making a specific identification---let's just do the 'numbers' and see what happens.

In Photoshop, under the Image menu, Adjustments...> Threshold... And everything turns B&W--don't worry, we'll cancel before doing damage. Move the dialog off the image and locate the slider on the graph with the mouse pointer. Now, while watching the image, drag that slider left and right, slowly.

JPEG compression removes colors with close similarity; and it does it in 8 by 8 blocks-it's complicated, take my word. As you move the slider a good image will have a gradual shift from black to white--very smooth, very even. One with JPEG artifacts will run in fits and spurts--bands and blocks->squares and rectangles. Look especially in smooth gradient areas like sky, or flat walls, roads etc.

Rather than specifying a fixed compression number like 8 or 10, each user should compress to where only a minimum amount of blocks and bands are noticed with this 'by the numbers' trick. Ideally they should stop compressing while they still have a smooth gradient from light to dark and back when using this threshold tool as described. That would be the point where one has removed all redundant information without sacrificing IQ.

When you are done watching the show cancel the Threshold dialog and the image will be back, undamaged.
02-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have to use an image editor (i.e. Photoshop) to add frames around your photos, and when saving images for online viewing, you usually select how much you want the files to be compressed.

JPEG compression ranges from 1-12, and the higher the number, the more details there are in the photo and the larger your filesize gets. Avoid 12, however, since it generally adds redundant data to the files without improving the quality.

OK. Thank you for that. I have always just resized to 800 by 600 pixels for downloading. (PSP8).

I will have another look at things.
Grant