Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Judo throw
Lens: Pentax 50-135/f2.8 Camera: K50 Photo Location: Alberta, Canada Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: tranq78, 12-31-2015, 11:28 PM

Judo is a sport that can be elegant, almost balletic.

Both athletes in this pic have won medals at the Canadian National Judo Championships. The one wearing white is my son.

This image was made just as both athletes' feet left the mat and they were rotating in mid-air.

Technical details: 1/350 sec, f3.5, DA*50-135. The only post-processing are minor adjustments and cropping in Lightroom. Taken in City of Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada.

For larger image click here... Judo throw - Pentax User Photo Gallery

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Views: 1,271
01-01-2016, 12:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shot. Sharp in areas but showing motion in others.
01-01-2016, 07:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You must be very proud of your son. Nice capture.
01-02-2016, 07:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
excellent timing !! Well done !

01-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
Unregistered User

It's telling that I was immediately thinking of what's going on in the action - the young lady's striking the mat, so I guess the ippon went to your son - but I can't tell what throw he's using - used to do that stuff myself, forty some-odd years ago - 2nd in Virginia at the time - but all that thinking about Judo is because it's such a great picture that I wasn't thinking about the fact that it's a photograph at all.
01-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Very nicely done!
01-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #7

nice colors. interesting shapes. good work

01-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
It's telling that I was immediately thinking of what's going on in the action - the young lady's striking the mat, so I guess the ippon went to your son - but I can't tell what throw he's using - used to do that stuff myself, forty some-odd years ago - 2nd in Virginia at the time - but all that thinking about Judo is because it's such a great picture that I wasn't thinking about the fact that it's a photograph at all.

Wow, you reached a really high level in the sport, congratulations! The throw he is using is Uchi Mata. (For non-Judo people, it's the inner thigh throw). As you can see, he is continuing the rotation after he completes his leg sweep.

Thank you everyone for your comments. Muchly appreciated!
01-04-2016, 11:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian

For those of us who are not judo-ka. Who is tori and who is uke in this photo?
01-05-2016, 04:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
For those of us who are not judo-ka. Who is tori and who is uke in this photo?

I didn't realize there were so many Judo people on the forum. I always thought it was a bit of an esoteric martial art in North America.

But to clarify... in Judo tori is the person who is carrying out the throw and uke (pronounced ew-kay) is on the receiving end. In the pic white is tori and blue is uke.

These 2 were going at it pretty hard. White executed a hard leg sweep (Uchi Mata) and followed through with the rotation as blue held onto his lapel. In a tournament if blue lands on her back the match is over. If she landed on her side or stomach the match continues and white would have gone straight into ground-fighting techniques, my guess is a submission hold (choke or arm bar) as white is well positioned for this.

Oh, and just because blue is a girl doesn't mean she isn't as tough as the boys. She is just as capable of doing the same. "Judo... the gentle way".
01-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't do Judo but I know a few throws. I do Hap Ki Do in which they taught us some Judo throws. But last night we beat each other up with swords...

Great photo!