Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A diamond in the rough
Lens: Tamron 28-200 Camera: K7 Photo Location: Frankfort Indiana ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F5 
Posted By: bigdavephoto, 01-01-2016, 08:36 PM

Here is a photo I took today. I am calling it "A diamond in the rough" which is a play on words. For the fun of it, try to figure out why. (Very obscure)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Views: 962
01-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Reminds me of the crosstracks I grew up by, in Linden, IN.
01-01-2016, 10:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Reminds me of the crosstracks I grew up by, in Linden, IN.

That is what this is. It is where CSX coming from the right crosses with Norfolk Southern coming from the left in Frankfort, Indiana.
01-01-2016, 10:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Here is a photo I took today. I am calling it "A diamond in the rough" which is a play on words. For the fun of it, try to figure out why. (Very obscure)
A baseball diamond shape in the middle of the photo? It is an interesting shot of how the cross tracks are configured in a rail yard. Must be a freight train yard with a lot of cars and engines switching. Again, nice photo.

Thanks,

Tony

01-02-2016, 03:11 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
OK diamond in the middle but does the blue aerosol paint can and markings either side have anything to do with it?

Lang may yer lum reek!
01-02-2016, 06:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
OK diamond in the middle but does the blue aerosol paint can and markings either side have anything to do with it?

Lang may yer lum reek!

That is actually a empty beer can on the ground that somebody had thrown there. The paint on the ground is where the grounding cables are and the railroad workers had marked them.

I'll explain in a day or two why I named the photo what I did.

---------- Post added 01-02-16 at 08:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
A baseball diamond shape in the middle of the photo? It is an interesting shot of how the cross tracks are configured in a rail yard. Must be a freight train yard with a lot of cars and engines switching. Again, nice photo.

Thanks,

Tony

This called a diamond in railroad talk. It is common where two sets of track cross each other. Doesn't have to been in a yard to happen though this does happen to be close to a yard in Frankfort Indiana.

I'll explain in a day or two why I called the photo what I did.
01-02-2016, 06:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Lang may yer lum reek!

An' a happy Hogmanay to all!

01-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Neat shot. RR yards are fascinating places.
01-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
I'll explain in a day or two why I named the photo what I did
I await to be educated, don't you go and forget now.
01-02-2016, 06:41 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice capture, I live near the tracks and I never tire of hearing and seeing the trains.
01-03-2016, 10:26 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, so I promised I would tell everybody the reason for the name. Here it is.

A diamond in railroad talk is anyplace one set of tracks cross a second set of tracks at ground level with out connecting the tracks together or by crossing with a bridge. When diamonds were first used in the early to mid 1800's and up until around the 1960's, diamonds were hated by everyone in the railroads. Because of the fact that the tracks had to have a gap in them to allow the flange of the wheel clearance, a diamond was very rough. Diamonds could cause the wheels to crack and break, the wheels also can damage the rails which in both cases can cause derailments. Also because the diamonds are rough, when crossing, the banging of the diamonds caused a lot of discomfort the people riding in the train cars.

Even though the diamond in this picture is a newer diamond style, I felt calling it "A diamond in the rough" would pay homage to the history of railroad diamonds.

David

ps

Apparently there is a new design of diamond that is being used now where the wheel is raised up and supported by the flange of the wheel. With this design, the face of the wheel does not hit the cut of the diamond but rides over it preventing damage to the wheel or the rail. I don't know if this one is the newer design or not. I did not get close enough to see because this is a live track and I did not want to be arrested for trespassing on railroad property.

Always remember, if you are going to photograph trains, stay away from the tracks because the train will always win.