Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
A walk through the old Dutch town of Alkmaar
Lens: Sigma 85mm/f1.4 Camera: K-5 IIs Photo Location: Alkmaar, NL 
Posted By: newmikey, 01-03-2016, 08:50 AM

Nothing much, just a slow Sunday afternoon and a walk around this beautiful 17th century Dutch town trying to pick out some details from between the herds of shopping people.

1. A red bicycle bell (duhhhh... )

2. Maybe no a real showoff but behind this window in the Schoutenstraat a large part of my childhood was spent.

3. Corner Nieuwesloot and Kanaalkade. Everybody just walks by but this building is painted in beautiful, soft prachtige pastel-yellow colors.

4. A smal detail of the Friesebrug (Frisian bridge) over the Noordhollands Kanaal (an large, early 19th century 30-mile long hand-dug canal connecting Amsterdam to the Northsea)

5. An one more detail, this times of the stairs leading up to the pedestrian path over the bridge

Views: 862
01-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That's a great set--this and your previous thread really make the case for the long, fast tele as a walk-around lens.
01-03-2016, 09:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
That's a great set--this and your previous thread really make the case for the long, fast tele as a walk-around lens.
I certainly wouldn't call the Sigma 85mm a "long, fast tele" and I have to be honest here: I never use it as a walk-around lens, it's far too specific for that. I generally use my DA*50-135mm/f2.8 as a walk-around (though not considered long either) but sometimes I enjoy challenging myself by limiting my options.

I have tried using the DA55-300mm as a walk-around and it's quite a decent experience but the bokeh and acute sharpness of the 85mm are something else. The Sigma does have a tendency for purple CA though all the way through to f8 which limits its use in photo's with small details against the sky as a background.

Thanks for looking and commenting!
01-03-2016, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Aye the focal length makes it ideal for isolating details, like in these fine images.

I have your Sigmas distant cousin... my “Sweetheart” (SMC Pentax-A* 85mm F1.4) which I often use as a walk around lens.

01-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You've certainly got an eye for detail. Great series. Can't pick a favorite.
01-03-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
DA55-300mm as a walk-around

Now that is a long walk-around lens on the far end. I like my K135/2.5 for the same purposes, but it's just a tad too long on a crop sensor--an 85mm might be just right.