Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Cumbres & Toltec
Posted By: slowpez, 01-03-2016, 09:21 AM

Beautiful train ride from Antonito, CO to Chama, NM. Turns out that I get train sick so was stuck to my seat for what was a very long train ride. It was gorgeous scenery though. Thankfully, everyone is taken back via bus.

Last edited by slowpez; 03-27-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Views: 930
01-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Turns out that I get train sick
Oh dear, I hope it didn't spoil things too much for you, the images still looking good mind.
01-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Oh dear, I hope it didn't spoil things too much for you, the images still looking good mind.
They served a lot of drinks. Sadly, no alcohol involved.
01-03-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You know a pro when she shoots through the motion sickness... Well-worth it (though easy for me to say)--the first is my favorite, especially if you opened up the right hand side of the frame a bit...the OOF areas are really the subject, to my mind.

01-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing these photos. Was looking at the intricately done ceiling in the last photo and I thought the outside and inside of those cars would surely make for lovely subjects ... in addition to the view outside.

Your photos just reminded me of one thing in my bucket list: buying an Amtrak Rail Pass to see and photograph selected places out there in the States. (But that adventure might have to wait till the Canadian loonie gains against your greenbacks.) I wonder though if passengers are allowed into the caboose though. That would be a great vantage point to snap photos especially of expansive views.

Last edited by chmance; 01-03-2016 at 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling
01-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazing trip. Thanks for your pictures despite your discomfort. I hope to do a steam train trip this spring when the weather perks up.
01-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's one of my favorite places on earth. Beautifully exposed, thoughtful composition of subject, caught the action.

01-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
You know a pro when she shoots through the motion sickness... Well-worth it (though easy for me to say)--the first is my favorite, especially if you opened up the right hand side of the frame a bit...the OOF areas are really the subject, to my mind.
Thank you kindly.

QuoteOriginally posted by chmance Quote
Thanks for sharing these photos. Was looking at the intricately done ceiling in the last photo and I thought the outside and inside of those cars would surely make for lovely subjects ... in addition to the view outside.

Your photos just reminded me of one thing in my bucket list: buying an Amtrak Rail Pass to see and photograph selected places out there in the States. (But that adventure might have to wait till the Canadian loonie gains against your greenbacks.) I wonder though if passengers are allowed into the caboose though. That would be a great vantage point to snap photos especially of expansive views.
The last two cars are for those willing to pay extra for special seating. No one is allowed through. We were in the second to last car and it had tables for two or four people. The table for four was the same size as the table for two so were glad to have taken a table for two. Gave us a bit more room. The last car had what looked like seating facing the window with a long ledge. The rest of the seating was regular bus/coach seating. There was a large empty car completely open that my husband spent his time in and he really had a much better vantage point then I did.

QuoteOriginally posted by dwj130 Quote
Amazing trip. Thanks for your pictures despite your discomfort. I hope to do a steam train trip this spring when the weather perks up.
Can I say dramamine?

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That's one of my favorite places on earth. Beautifully exposed, thoughtful composition of subject, caught the action.
Thanks a lot.
01-03-2016, 03:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series.....more?... please?
Hope your feeling better, nothing worse than motion sickness....when your in motion. :-)
01-03-2016, 04:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Great series.....more?... please?
Hope your feeling better, nothing worse than motion sickness....when your in motion. :-)
Thank you for your concern. I did get over the motion sickness pretty fast after getting off the train. Still more photos to come from the trip unless I get kicked off for monopolizing "post your photos."
Seriously though, it was a wonderful trip and one that we will remember for a long, long time. All those national parks, national seashores, and national wildlife refuges, just made everything perfect. I only hope we can repeat it for our 60th anniversary.
01-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice, an other great set from my State, of an other place I have yet to go (been close though). The composition of that first one is terrific.
01-04-2016, 02:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dwalker19 Quote
nice, an other great set from my State, of an other place I have yet to go (been close though). The composition of that first one is terrific.
Thanks so much. We love Colorado by the way and regret not retiring there. Spent about six weeks in your state this trip and it just wasn't enough.