Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
At the feeder post....
Lens: DA* 60-250 + HD DA1.4 TC Camera: K-3 Photo Location: My back yard ISO: 1600 Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: normhead, 01-04-2016, 03:24 PM

DA*60-250 + HD DA 1.4 TC
ISO 1600, ƒ5.6 , AV mode.

The birds show much more interest in the super high energy home made feeder post suet in the cold (-15) weather.

Digging in

Today marks the return of the Red BreastedmNuthatch, it's first time at the feeder this year, but I missed the woodpeckers, when they were there I was not. When I saw them and went out, they left.
Views: 1,432
01-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You must have insulted the woodpeckers somehow Norm. Great series. Like them all and your suet feeder is a great idea. Keeps everything looking natural.
01-04-2016, 04:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice photos!
01-04-2016, 04:43 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
DA*60-250 + HD DA 1.4 TC
ISO 1600, ƒ5.6 , AV mode.

The birds show much more interest in the super high energy home made feeder post suet in the cold (-15) weather.

Digging in

Today marks the return of the Red BreastedmNuthatch, it's first time at the feeder this year, but I missed the woodpeckers, when they were there I was not. When I saw them and went out, they left.
Very well done. I like the color change on the last one. Many thanks for sharing.

Tony

01-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
You must have insulted the woodpeckers somehow Norm. Great series. Like them all and your suet feeder is a great idea. Keeps everything looking natural.
Why not , I seem to have insulted pretty much everything else.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Nice photos!
Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Very well done. I like the color change on the last one. Many thanks for sharing.

Tony
That was part of the days exposure crisis, the sun rolling in and out of the clouds , going from +1 to -1 EV depending on how bright the background was. That one is no direct sun, about stop over exposed at 0 EV, and, I didn't balance the curves in post.... so the images is unintentionally high key.... but, glad you like it.
01-04-2016, 07:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Great suet feeder and bird shots.
01-04-2016, 08:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Great suet feeder and bird shots.
Thanks waterfall.

01-04-2016, 08:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why not , I seem to have insulted pretty much everything else.

Thanks.

That was part of the days exposure crisis, the sun rolling in and out of the clouds , going from +1 to -1 EV depending on how bright the background was. That one is no direct sun, about stop over exposed at 0 EV, and, I didn't balance the curves in post.... so the images is unintentionally high key.... but, glad you like it.
Now, what you have said is very interesting. No direct sun, one stop overexposed at 0 EV. What are you using for PP adjustments? Thanks for the heads up.

Tony
01-04-2016, 08:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
PP adjustments hmmm, how much do you want, my final was -.5 EV, the black point adjusted to about 1/8 to the right. 5 contrast, .83 definition, Shadows, .51, but, for me the image would normally be a throw away, it's soft, looks like motion blur caused by camera motion, at full size it's way too soft, at 1280x840 it's not too bad. If the image was properly exposed, it would have looked much like the same bird in the first image, ie. a lot more detail, pop and contrast.
01-05-2016, 04:48 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PP adjustments hmmm, how much do you want, my final was -.5 EV, the black point adjusted to about 1/8 to the right. 5 contrast, .83 definition, Shadows, .51, but, for me the image would normally be a throw away, it's soft, looks like motion blur caused by camera motion, at full size it's way too soft, at 1280x840 it's not too bad. If the image was properly exposed, it would have looked much like the same bird in the first image, ie. a lot more detail, pop and contrast.
Thank you very much for the info. Again, a very wonderful series of photos.

Tony
01-05-2016, 05:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Great series, Norm. We have a red breasted nuthatch that has been a regular here for a month or so. Fascinating little birds, they are. (The one here favors the woodpecker block)
01-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Great series, Norm. We have a red breasted nuthatch that has been a regular here for a month or so. Fascinating little birds, they are. (The one here favors the woodpecker block)
I put a suet block out for them, but they prefer my homemade mix, veg crisco, peanut butter, almond butter, cornmeal and some flour to stick it all together. They have the commercial blocks when my home made is gone. The nuthatches also like chopped nuts, I take out feed peanuts and trail mix chopped into little bits and black oil sunflower seeds. They basically eat everything I put out.
01-05-2016, 05:49 PM   #13
Pentaxian

With a buffet like that, I'm surprised Otis hasn't abandoned Rupert for a visit to your place.
01-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
He uses me for leverage. He tells Rupert he'll move up here for the buffet if he doesn't get better food.
01-06-2016, 07:24 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Terrific, Norm, as usual. You know, I always think of blue jays around here as homely critters, but the ones you photograph look classy.

Jer