Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
DA*300mm at the rink
Camera: K3 Photo Location: Brantford, Ontario ISO: 3200 Shutter Speed: 1/800s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: fwwidall, 01-05-2016, 05:25 PM

My grandson plays on the Kitchener Minor Bantam AA hockey team. Last night we played the Brantford 99ers at the Wayne Gretzky Sports Center in Brantford, Ontario, which is Gretzky's home town.

As you might imagine its a very nice ice hockey venue with four separate rinks, and more importantly from my perspective, they are well lit.

I decided to try my smc Pentax-DA*300mm F4 and see how it would perform.... very well, I think you'll agree. Mostly I was shooting at iso 3200, 1/800s and F4. I think they use sodium lights so unhappily the colour would rapidly change from pinkish to greenish, and all shades in between. I had to do some major colour cast removal in PS to get reasonable colours.

See what you think:

My grandson after taking a slap shot on the elbow - ouch !

Definitely a trip...

How did he miss ?

Should be on a hockey card...

A scramble in the crease.

Last edited by fwwidall; 01-05-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Views: 1,379
01-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent images. Thanks for posting. I love the high key thing going on with the ice. I hope you're going to make a few posters for those kids.
01-05-2016, 10:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great job, excellent action shots.
01-05-2016, 11:37 PM   #4
eva
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
My grandson plays on the Kitchener Minor Bantam AA hockey team. Last night we played the Brantford 99ers at the Wayne Gretzky Sports Center in Brantford, Ontario, which is Gretzky's home town.

As you might imagine its a very nice ice hockey venue with four separate rinks, and more importantly from my perspective, they are well lit.

I decided to try my smc Pentax-DA*300mm F4 and see how it would perform.... very well, I think you'll agree. Mostly I was shooting at iso 3200, 1/800s and F4. I think they use sodium lights so unhappily the colour would rapidly change from pinkish to greenish, and all shades in between. I had to do some major colour cast removal in PS to get reasonable colours.

See what you think:

My grandson after taking a slap shot on the elbow - ouch !

Definitely a trip...

How did he miss ?

Should be on a hockey card...

A scramble in the crease.

Nice.Special 2 !

01-06-2016, 07:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great shots! (Love the name "Wacky Wings!")
01-06-2016, 08:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm curious where in the rink you were located to take these pictures, I don't see any evidence of the netting that surrounds most of the rink to protect the people in the stands from getting hit by a puck.
01-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind comments.

@RGlasel - Yes it is somewhat unusual to not have netting all round the playing surface, on top of the glass, but at this rink one side doesn't have any. I found an image of the rink online which shows the setup.

I was shooting from the upper level in the corners with no net, or glass in my way, and the 300mm let me shoot the goal at opposite end.

Fred.

Last edited by fwwidall; 01-06-2016 at 11:48 AM.
01-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #8

Game on ! Great job . Shooting at indoor rinks might be one of the most challenging and frustrating tasks in photography. Well done.
03-14-2016, 08:38 PM   #9

Fwwidall,
Have you tried to shoot through the glass with that lens? I shoot with a Sigma 70-200 F2.8 but trying to reach the other end of the rink is a lost cause with this lens. The opposite blue line is about as far as I can reach. I'm happy to know someone besides my self is trying to shoot sports with a Pentax. I love snickering at the cannon/Nikon users who look down on my Pentax while they are shooting in auto with the kit lens. Indoor hockey is a real challenge to shoot. You look like you have it down.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
03-15-2016, 04:37 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi munch008,

No, I haven't shot through the glass with the DA*300mm, but I'm sure it'd work ok, at least in the well lit rinks which are few and far between.

These days I shoot mostly video at the games and put up a 3 minute video on Flickr for the parents to watch, which they seem to enjoy.

I've been shooting hockey for several years now, and with two grandsons playing I get a lot of practice. These days the DA*50-135mm is my main choice when I'm shooting images, as it allows me to get good action shots around the goal. I've lots of hockey albums on Flickr if you'd like to see some more of my work.

Fred.