Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
High speed on a rough road...
Posted By: heliphoto, 06-30-2008, 06:09 PM

I'm back at work after a few days off, so ironically, now I have some time to post a few shots from a couple weeks ago...

Taken with the K200D.

First, three high speed dirt road shots with the Sigma 24mm/2.8 super-wide (I wasn't driving). Shake reduction earned it's keep this day, though of course it can't really keep up under these conditions (45 mph)...

1/2 sec, f/4.5, iso 1000,

1/3, f/3.2, iso 1600

1/3, f/3.2, iso 1600

The next morning, driving back out to the fire I had the Tamron 90mm Di Macro on.
1/250, f/4, iso 100

Views: 1,708
07-01-2008, 05:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cool night shots. I wanna see someone composite an UFO in there somewhere Nice clarity at 1600 too!
07-01-2008, 05:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

These are interesting but I have to be honest the night ones are lacking a real subject. Could just be me but #1 is okay (maybe lose the antena) and I like the concept of the others but I guess it just needs a little something more. I have to ask what was your PP on these. Noise is very low at 1600 nice work there. Okay I am scrolling back and forth and may have been a little harsh I really do feel the speed in the shots but I guess I just need a UFO in there to to make it great for me. Just my $.02 take it for what it is worth. Oh and only on cup one of coffee
07-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
Cool night shots. I wanna see someone composite an UFO in there somewhere Nice clarity at 1600 too!
Actually you hit the nail on the head here, Area 51/Groom Lake is about 80 miles from where these were taken. ;-)

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
These are interesting but I have to be honest the night ones are lacking a real subject. Could just be me but #1 is okay (maybe lose the antena) and I like the concept of the others but I guess it just needs a little something more. I have to ask what was your PP on these. Noise is very low at 1600 nice work there. Okay I am scrolling back and forth and may have been a little harsh I really do feel the speed in the shots but I guess I just need a UFO in there to to make it great for me. Just my $.02 take it for what it is worth. Oh and only on cup one of coffee
To me, the speed/motion is the subject, though I agree with you these aren't exactly wall-hangers. Perhaps it's more exciting to know we're rollin' with 700 gallons of jet fuel in the back, and my driver was telling stories of pre-running the Baja 1000 . Besides this forum isn't called, "Post your great photos!"

Re: the pp, very little was done... the first two have only my default Lightroom K200 presets applied which are slight tweaks to colors and saturation, and normal lightroom defaults for everything else. On the third I turned up the black clipping a bit, which I've found really knocks the noise out of the dark areas (and the detail of course). The last shot was posted just to give a daytime view of the area, and has the black clipping and the contrast turned up to try to cut through the smoky haze. High ISO noise reduction is set to weakest in my camera, though I'm not sure whether this applies to raw photos or only in-camera jpegs.

07-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

That does make it more interesting. I get lost in commenting sometimes and hope you didn't take it as bashing or anything.
07-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
That does make it more interesting. I get lost in commenting sometimes and hope you didn't take it as bashing or anything.
No worries, bash away. I'm partial to these shots because I was there, but I think you'll admit they are unique, and that uniqueness is why I though they were worth posting.
07-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #7

Rather, I think you captured the speed and the stark nature of the scene completely.

Number three is exactly what you see driving offroad at night: Your eyes focused on the bright headlights and the goofy dancing shadows they cast. Everything else is just blurring by. I can feel the ride.

07-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
No worries, bash away. I'm partial to these shots because I was there, but I think you'll admit they are unique, and that uniqueness is why I though they were worth posting.
Agreed
07-03-2008, 02:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice work ... had a go at in-motion photography the other day doing deliveries around Sydney in traffic ... I was the driving at the time while shooting ... was interesting to say the least.