Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
There's a new knife in my house.
Posted By: normhead, 01-12-2016, 03:07 PM

So, I had to take a picture of it. It's Tess's new camping kit.

Views: 2,482
01-18-2016, 05:06 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Very nice still life, Norm. I'm curious.... do you have black locust trees up there where you live? Some interesting wood, but you being an old woodworker, I'm probably preaching to the choir.
I'm not sure I've seen a locust tree since I left Ohio, maybe in Toronto a few transplants, but it's not native, and I can't remember when I lsst saw one. I may have had one on my front lawn as a child, in Columbus Ohio.

So, since my whole woodworking career was up here in the great white north, I'm not at all familiar with the wood.

01-18-2016, 05:23 PM   #32
Veteran Member

It's hard stuff. The tree is tall and kind of spindly, with viscous thorns on the limbs and very rough bark. The early settlers coming out west used to repair their wagon tongues and single and double trees with it because it was a lot like oak. Tough and very rot-resistant. It's still prized by ranchers here in Idaho for fence posts and it's claimed it will last 100 years. Most of it is an ugly greenish-yellow, a lot like poplar, but every once in a while, you'll find pieces with beautiful black/chocolate streaks in it. It's good for turning. I've always wanted to tour the areas where you're at and see the oak, ash and walnut forests. All we see out west here is Douglas fir, pine, yew and spruce. A few, what they call "valley oaks," just scrub oak trees that are only good for firewood.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm not sure I've seen a locust tree since I left Ohio, maybe in Toronto a few transplants, but it's not native, and I can't remember when I lsst saw one. I may have had one on my front lawn as a child, in Columbus Ohio.

So, since my whole woodworking career was up here in the great white north, I'm not at all familiar with the wood.
01-18-2016, 05:40 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Around us it's red oak, bur oak, as well as firs, spruces and pines, ash, black cherry, sugar, shagbark and whispering maples, and three types of Aspen.. And for some of those hardwoods, we are the far northern limit of their range.

Go to 70mmiles north of here and you won't find any hard woods at all.
01-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #34
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

....Norm, you didn't even have the courtesy of looking at my new knife.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/311826-machinery-ther...my-pocket.html

Sure, your knife is bigger....and your shot is better, but my cheese is a lot better than yours!

Regards!

01-20-2016, 06:49 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I looked at your knife a couple of times Rupert, it's very nice.

My comment was....
QuoteQuote:
When Rupert posted that picture this morning, he set still life photography back at least a couple hundred year, this thread is living proof.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/239325-why-i-wont-buy-k3-w...#ixzz3xnBT6TkF
I guess i need to cross post my comments.