Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
There's a new knife in my house.
Lens: Tamron 90 macro Camera: K-5 Photo Location: My house ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/8s Aperture: F3.6 
Posted By: normhead, 01-12-2016, 03:07 PM

So, I had to take a picture of it. It's Tess's new camping kit.

Views: 2,487
01-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A beauty with rosewood (?) handle and brass tang and hilt. Oh and the shot is beautifully done as well!
01-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh my. Made my day all around.
01-12-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Amazing composition normead!

01-12-2016, 04:04 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Looks like a Buck.......???
01-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
There's a new knife in my house
I'd be careful not to upset the "lovely Tess" if I were you.
01-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Norm, that's a first-rate still life*; you're putting that K-5 to work it seems. I don't think I've used mine since I got a K-3, but after seeing this photo I'm thinking I should "take it around the block" again one of these days.

Jer

*no matter how you slice it, if you get my point. Sorry, but I can't seem to get a handle on my addiction to puns.

01-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
A beauty with rosewood (?) handle and brass tang and hilt. Oh and the shot is beautifully done as well!
It's a cherry wood handle, it;s hard to find real Rosewood these days. It's a tree that won't grow in groves, just a few in a forest, and they were popular for as firewood for steamers on the Amazon.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oh my. Made my day all around.
Glad to be of service.

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Amazing composition normead!
Thanks Bertwert, you have to remember, bring the lines from the corners towards the centre of the frame.

QuoteOriginally posted by sawicksted Quote
Looks like a Buck.......???
It is a buck knife.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_Knives

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I'd be careful not to upset the "lovely Tess" if I were you.
Tess gave me one twice that size ( different make) which I sometimes use for splitting wood on campsites or lifting the lids off hot pots. But it's pretty heavy duty and she won't carry it except packed away in a gear bag. This one I hope she'll actually clip this onto a belt and wear it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Norm, that's a first-rate still life*; you're putting that K-5 to work it seems. I don't think I've used mine since I got a K-3, but after seeing this photo I'm thinking I should "take it around the block" again one of these days.

Jer

*no matter how you slice it, if you get my point. Sorry, but I can't seem to get a handle on my addiction to puns.
I Love the K-3 for it's AF, but the K-5's superior dynamic range made it the obvious choice for this image.

Last edited by normhead; 01-12-2016 at 07:58 PM.
01-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #9

I like the composition too. I am curious, why does the k-5 have better dynamic range?
01-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
I like the composition too. I am curious, why does the k-5 have better dynamic range?
Who knows, a number of sites say it does, and I can't say it's any worse.
01-12-2016, 07:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's a cherry wood handle, it;s hard to find real Rosewood these days. It's agree that won't grow in groves, just a few in a forest, and they were popular for as firewood for steamers on the Amazon.

Glad to be of service.

Thanks Bertwert, you have to remember, bring the lines from the corners towards the centre of the frame.

It is a buck knife.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_Knives

Tess gave me one twice that size ( different make) which I sometimes use for splitting wood on campsites or lifting the lids off hot pots. But it's pretty heavy duty and she won't carry it except packed away in a gear bag. This one I hope she'll actually clip this onto a belt and wear it.

I Love the K-3 for it's AF, but the K-5's superior dynamic range made it the obvious choice for this image.
I have a Buck that is the same design, just not as pretty, with black handle and no brass. Buck does make pretty knives.
01-12-2016, 08:01 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I actually went to get something else.... but in the end this is what won out. Tess is like me in that she's more likely to use a tool if it's a beautiful tool. One that you just like holing in your hand. Tools like that make you happy to use them. A job isn't a job, it's an excuse to use the beautiful took. Very Tom Sawyerish.
01-12-2016, 08:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Tess is like me in that she's more likely to use a tool if it's a beautiful tool.
Why do you have a K-01 then?
01-12-2016, 08:21 PM   #14
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I pity the cheese that messes with Tess
(okay horrible use of that phrase, but it was so bad I couldn't keep it contained)

Really interesting to see an indoor shot from you and I hope you find the time to take more as you have a good sense of composition from all your years of training.
01-13-2016, 06:42 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It was shot on m basic light table.....
I did 40 weeks of studio assignments 45 years ago, I still feel the urge to set up my simple light box and photograph something every now and then. It's not like having a warehouse and 20 or thirty lights with over head track lighting and stages, and many sizes of diffusers and reflectors, etc. like I had access to at Ryerson Politech,, but it lets you do the studio thing in a very tiny space.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/225852-basic-...ml#post2397326

Last edited by normhead; 01-13-2016 at 07:33 AM.