Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
sure hard to get these little guys
Posted By: Ed in GA, 02-10-2007, 12:04 PM

Last edited by Ed in GA; 02-10-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Views: 1,509
02-10-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As I said on another thread, I marvel at you folks than can get these kinds of shots. I guess I don't have the patience or- when the moment arrives - I'm too slow on the draw. Anyway, congrats and well done.

BTW, I notice you have an FA 35/2 - I picked one up last summer and I'm wondering if you like the lens as much as I do.

Jer
02-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I that a loggerhead shrike?
Did you use the DA50-200 for the capture?
02-10-2007, 11:51 PM   #4
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
As I said on another thread, I marvel at you folks than can get these kinds of shots. I guess I don't have the patience or- when the moment arrives - I'm too slow on the draw. Anyway, congrats and well done.

BTW, I notice you have an FA 35/2 - I picked one up last summer and I'm wondering if you like the lens as much as I do.

Jer
I've only had the 35 F2 for about a month and haven't had an opportunity to use it that much. From what little I have, I think it to be a great lens.

Yep, I does take a little patience to get these shots. This one was right outside my office and I took it during my lunch break.

02-10-2007, 11:57 PM   #5
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
I that a loggerhead shrike?
Did you use the DA50-200 for the capture?
It sure looks like a loggerhead shrike what with the mask and all. However, this was a fairly small bird and I think the loggerhead shrike is supposed to be quite a bit larger than this guy.

The lens I used is the Promaster 70-300 and here is the EXIF.

Camera make: PENTAX Corporation
Camera model: PENTAX K100D
Date/Time: 2007:02:08 13:37:38
Resolution: 562 x 800
Flash used: No
Focal length: 300.0mm (35mm equivalent: 450mm)
Exposure time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv.: 200
Whitebalance: Auto
Metering Mode: spot
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
02-11-2007, 12:40 AM   #6

hmm... looks like a shrike... not that i'm actually a birding expert or anything. i just remember once seeing this bird near my old house injure a bright gold finch and then impale him in a thornbush and slowly eat him while he was writhing. naturally i had to read up on the vicious killer, hence my knowledge of loggerhead shrikes... but that' about all i know when it comes to birds. regardless of the bird, it's remarkable that you got so close. i can't seem to manage that with the small birds either. i lack the patience. great picture.
02-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Definately a Loggerhead Shrike. IIRC, they only get to about 7 inches in length.

Beautiful bird!

02-11-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot Eddy, nice and sharp. Steady too! Do you like your Promaster? Those little guys are hard to get! Me, I like seagulls, much bigger and they hang around so you can get close.

NaCl(the little ones require too much patience)H2O
02-11-2007, 08:13 PM   #9
racinsince55

Great photo. Although it has a touch of PF.
02-11-2007, 08:35 PM   #10
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Nice shot Eddy, nice and sharp. Steady too! Do you like your Promaster? Those little guys are hard to get! Me, I like seagulls, much bigger and they hang around so you can get close.

NaCl(the little ones require too much patience)H2O
Birds of all kinds are fun to photograph. Have to catch them just right tho'.

As for the Promaster, When I purchased my K100D from the local shop, the guy recommended at to compliment the 18-55 which came with the camera. If I had the choice to make again, I'm not sure if I would buy it or not. It's not a realy good lens nor is it a real bad lens. I did notice, and there was a comment, when I cropped this photo, the is some purple fringing which I guess to due to the lens???
02-11-2007, 09:05 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I'm not sure it's a product of the lens. For one thing it's so minor I didn't notice it until it was pointed out. For another, I tend to almost always get that kind of fringing with very high contrast differentials, especially where there is a straight line between the two. I just tried to remove it quickly by using the "shadows/highlights" tool in PSE, but no luck. It is still really minor tho.

NaCl(it doesn't detract from the photo IMHO )H2O