Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
New to telephoto, but I feel like I got lucky.
Lens: DA*300 f4 Camera: K-5 iis Photo Location: Denver Colorado ISO: 250 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F1.7 
Posted By: Trees, 01-22-2016, 08:30 PM

I'd only gotten my da*300 a few days earlier, so when I went to the park in the middle of winter, I was really just expecting to be the guy who brought WAY too much lens to the party.

I'd just started walking around Ferrill Lake when I saw a VERY large bird land in a tree, maybe 50 yards away. I noticed that it was white on the top and bottom... JUST as it touched down and immediately took a few shots. Over the next few minutes I just kept getting closer and closer; it was in a fairly dense tree so there were a lot of angles that just did not work. I finally came up close behind it and there was an opening. I fired off a few shots, eventually drawing its attention. I got a few other really good shots, but the one with it looking directly at me was my favorite.

Not a bad way to break in a new lens.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 1,102
01-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Trees. Right place, right time, right gear and patience. Doesn't sound like much " luck " involved there. Very good photograph.
01-22-2016, 09:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well done. The DA*300 preforms with the best of them. Congratz on the lens and the picture.
01-22-2016, 10:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, now you did it. That's how you get hooked on long lenses. That first shot where you nail it. Congratulations! It's a beauty!

01-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Excellent photo of the Bald Eagle. I note he is giving you a suspicious look.
01-22-2016, 11:21 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice, crisp capture, Trees! TFS.
01-23-2016, 12:44 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trees Quote
I'd only gotten my da*300 a few days earlier, so when I went to the park in the middle of winter, I was really just expecting to be the guy who brought WAY too much lens to the party.

I'd just started walking around Ferrill Lake when I saw a VERY large bird land in a tree, maybe 50 yards away. I noticed that it was white on the top and bottom... JUST as it touched down and immediately took a few shots. Over the next few minutes I just kept getting closer and closer; it was in a fairly dense tree so there were a lot of angles that just did not work. I finally came up close behind it and there was an opening. I fired off a few shots, eventually drawing its attention. I got a few other really good shots, but the one with it looking directly at me was my favorite.

I have to agree, no luck involved here. The right equipment and the right driver behind the wheel. Excellent shot, well done, sir. Thanks for sharing,

Tony
01-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the world of long lenses. You will love the 300 and what a photo to start with. You will have a tough time besting this one. Great job.

01-23-2016, 11:18 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Excellent shot! Wonder if he/she has a nest nearby?
01-23-2016, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done! I love eagles, only rarely get to shoot 'em.

Luck is always a part of wildlife photography. Wildlife photographers work to put the odds in their favor.
12-13-2017, 11:19 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Nice pose & composition!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Awesome photo
50 foot away is being in the right place at the right time..
I think my closest to an eagle has been 50+ yards, for that matter, any bird of prey.
Nice job.

Clarence
12-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Saturated colors and also sharp. Very nice
08-01-2018, 01:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

You're being watched.
08-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

wow! great shot! love the eye contact! great blue sky too! well done