Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
My first try at portraits
Camera: K-3 Photo Location: A livingroom 
Posted By: kyricom, 01-26-2016, 07:37 AM

I've shot a lot of landscapes, wildlife, and studio objects - but have never really shot people (other than snapshots at family events etc.). A lady my wife works with wanted some shots of her grandchildren, but couldn't really afford a professional photographer. I wanted to try people, and she needed shots, so I took some backdrops and lights up to her house and gave it a try

Last edited by kyricom; 04-08-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Views: 914
01-26-2016, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The last one will be a classic amongst the family!
01-26-2016, 04:23 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ppohja Quote
I agree. Mom and dad will be bringing that one out to show every date the poor kid has.
01-26-2016, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #4

Totally agree! I know nothing about portrait photography but the last one is exceptional for me

01-27-2016, 12:32 AM   #5
Closed Account

Hi kyricom. If this is your first real try at portrait photography, you should be very proud of what you have done. Very well taken.
01-27-2016, 01:53 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi kyricom. If this is your first real try at portrait photography, you should be very proud of what you have done. Very well taken.
Yes indeed - I forgot to say that as well. The pics are very good quality and all of them will serve in building the family's collective memories. The last one is just so outstanding in capturing just the right moment and the baby's expression.

If I was there and getting a chance to get more pictures, I would try to take close-ups with much softer light. Bouncing the flash - or just building the light using the available light, shooting wide open or so and pump up the ISO.. to get a dreamy world. I've heard that the trick for doing that is to schedule the shoot for the time when the baby is sleeping.

Compliments for the great pics!
01-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Great work. The second picture looks like it has been taken in the studio. What light did you use?

01-28-2016, 06:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I agree. Mom and dad will be bringing that one out to show every date the poor kid has.
QuoteOriginally posted by apete Quote
Totally agree! I know nothing about portrait photography but the last one is exceptional for me
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Yes indeed - I forgot to say that as well. The pics are very good quality and all of them will serve in building the family's collective memories. The last one is just so outstanding in capturing just the right moment and the baby's expression.

Thank you all for your kind comments. It was a lot of fun. I may try to do some more people.

If I was there and getting a chance to get more pictures, I would try to take close-ups with much softer light. Bouncing the flash - or just building the light using the available light, shooting wide open or so and pump up the ISO.. to get a dreamy world. I've heard that the trick for doing that is to schedule the shoot for the time when the baby is sleeping.
Thanks for the constructive advice. I will definitely give it a try in the future.

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
The second picture looks like it has been taken in the studio. What light did you use?
Thanks. I had the flash on my camera, with a diffuser. Then, I had a slave flash on either side at about a 45 degree angle, each with a white umbrella.