Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Reverse Engineer This Photo
Lens: Good Question... Camera: K5 Photo Location: Boise State Rec Pool ISO: 560 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: Scootatheschool1990, 01-27-2016, 09:32 AM

I'm curious if anyone can, without looking at the comments below, reverse engineer this image with the lighting setup, the general category of lens used, and any accessories I may have used... Give it some thought if you don't know.

Last edited by Scootatheschool1990; 01-27-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Views: 1,095
01-27-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Easy. Use a DA* lens, dunk the camera and take a picture
01-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Shooting through glass, big off camera flash to the left?

The boater is totally cheating on his roll by the way!
01-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Shooting through glass, big off camera flash to the left?

The boater is totally cheating on his roll by the way!
You're almost there, though this is a pool with concrete sides so there's no glass wall to shoot through.

How's he cheating? ha ha ha

---------- Post added 01-27-16 at 10:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Easy. Use a DA* lens, dunk the camera and take a picture
I like your thinking PENTAXIANS! but sadly, no...

01-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think someone used a mirror
01-27-2016, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A housing or a transparent box lowered into the water?

It's considered not a clean roll if you brace off the bottom. It's a bad habit because in deep water you won't be able to do it.
01-28-2016, 01:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
I think someone used a mirror
Wow! Now that is creative!!! Interesting idea, but no.

---------- Post added 01-28-16 at 12:20 AM ----------

A housing or a transparent box lowered into the water?

It's considered not a clean roll if you brace off the bottom. It's a bad habit because in deep water you won't be able to do it.
Oh oh oh, I get what you're saying! It may look like he's bracing off the bottom (might be the perspective), but I can assure you he is not.

And yup! You got it! You basically described the fish tank I submerged to get the shot! Nice work! How could you tell?

01-28-2016, 02:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scootatheschool1990 Quote
Wow! Now that is creative!!! Interesting idea, but no.

---------- Post added 01-28-16 at 12:20 AM ----------

Oh oh oh, I get what you're saying! It may look like he's bracing off the bottom (might be the perspective), but I can assure you he is not.

And yup! You got it! You basically described the fish tank I submerged to get the shot! Nice work! How could you tell?
Just a guess because there are only so many ways to do a shot like this! Good idea using a fish tank. I may have to try that sometime! I'd love to get an over/under shot of someone hooking a trout fly fishing but I bet it would be hard to do without scaring the fish away.

Was it a plexiglass tank or real glass? I'd be afraid of breaking a glass one. Looks nice and clear.
01-30-2016, 09:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just a guess because there are only so many ways to do a shot like this! Good idea using a fish tank. I may have to try that sometime! I'd love to get an over/under shot of someone hooking a trout fly fishing but I bet it would be hard to do without scaring the fish away.

Was it a plexiglass tank or real glass? I'd be afraid of breaking a glass one. Looks nice and clear.
It was a glass tank yeah. And catching a fish would be pretty cool!
01-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice shot! I've done a few half/under and just under the surface shots with a mini fish tank taken to swamps (frogs and things). I've been looking at underwater bags with glass ports, but I think you've inspired me to refine my tank setup.

Glass is tougher than you might think. I've made a couple tanks out of 3/8" plate glass that aren't much larger than the camera. They're mostly used for other things, but they've taken a bit of a beating over the years without breaking. I found the tough part was fighting the buoyancy of the tank and keeping the camera pressed against the front of the glass at the same time for the best results. Composing was also tricky, but now that I think about it I haven't done this since getting a camera with live view, so I'm definitely overdo for trying again..
01-31-2016, 08:32 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Nice shot! I've done a few half/under and just under the surface shots with a mini fish tank taken to swamps (frogs and things). I've been looking at underwater bags with glass ports, but I think you've inspired me to refine my tank setup.

Glass is tougher than you might think. I've made a couple tanks out of 3/8" plate glass that aren't much larger than the camera. They're mostly used for other things, but they've taken a bit of a beating over the years without breaking. I found the tough part was fighting the buoyancy of the tank and keeping the camera pressed against the front of the glass at the same time for the best results. Composing was also tricky, but now that I think about it I haven't done this since getting a camera with live view, so I'm definitely overdo for trying again..
KS-2 flip screen with live view is what I'd try.