Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Falls in Texas
Lens: 18-55 kit lens Camera: k-3ii Photo Location: Colorado Bend State Park -- Texas ISO: 320 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F10 
Posted By: rtmarwitz, 01-27-2016, 06:36 PM

Here are this past weekend's remaining shots from a hiking/scouting trip at Colorado Bend State Park in Texas. K-3II with 18-55 kit hand held.

f10 1/15 320

f8 1/30 100

f10 1/15 800
myFlickr
Views: 825
01-28-2016, 08:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Still am amazed by the waterfalls in Texas.
01-30-2016, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Still am amazed by the waterfalls in Texas.
You can check this "waterfalls of Texas" site out if interested. The pictures above were from #2 in the list. #3 & #12 are both less than 2 hours from me...planning an outing at them soon too. Plenty to keep busy.

13 Beautiful Texas Waterfalls You Have to See - Wide Open Country
01-30-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rtmarwitz Quote
You can check this "waterfalls of Texas"
Thanks for the link. We have been to Big Bend but the windows trail was closed due to panther activity. Have also been to Perdenales River SP but guess the water level was just too low. Hope you make it to the rest of the falls.

01-30-2016, 08:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Lots to explore in Texas of course, but the Edwards Plateau and Guadalupe NP seem as if they'd give you a lifetime's worth of photo op's. Definitely look forward your explorations!
01-30-2016, 08:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Have also been to Perdenales River SP but guess the water level was just too low.
Don't just stop at the first outlook. The best time to go, IMO, is when the water is low. You can walk, climb, and hike your way down the river and get some very good photos along the way.
01-30-2016, 09:27 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've camped at Colorado Bend State Park....very nice place......remote and scenic. Glad you enjoyed your visit!

You might want to consider a trip out west to Big Bend National Park and Big Bend State Park. The scenery is beyond description.....and they both have some nice waterfalls too!
https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0SO80wt3qxWy4IAlVJXNyoA;...te+Park&fr=vmn

I took my 7th trip to Big Bend Nat Park last year and plan on going again...maybe this year. You could go a thousand times and still see new and exciting scenes and places. Very remote, very few people, and stunning quietness and beauty.
Both parks are huge, Texas State Park is the largest in Texas, and all the other State Parks would fit well within it with plenty of room left over.

Remote and wild....every trip is an adventure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bend_National_Park
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bend_Ranch_State_Park_%28Texas%29

Enjoy your opportunities in Texas...there are more than you can cover in a lifetime. From the pine woods of East Texas to the high plains of the Panhandle...to the beaches of the Gulf Coast......there is something for every taste and desire.

A few shots from our trip last Spring....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129469263@N03/albums/72157651549026457

A few from 2007
BIG BEND 2007 Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com

Take advantage of all there is to see in the diverse regions of Texas, the photo opportunities are boundless!

Regards!

Note: This was a paid tourism ad for Texas...paid for by Otis Squirrel. As you travel about this huge State....don't forget to feed the squirrels...they are everywhere, and always hungry!
01-30-2016, 10:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I've camped at Colorado Bend State Park....very nice place......remote and scenic. Glad you enjoyed your visit!

You might want to consider a trip out west to Big Bend National Park and Big Bend State Park. The scenery is beyond description.....and they both have some nice waterfalls too!
https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0SO80wt3qxWy4IAlVJXNyoA;...te+Park&fr=vmn

I took my 7th trip to Big Bend Nat Park last year and plan on going again...maybe this year. You could go a thousand times and still see new and exciting scenes and places. Very remote, very few people, and stunning quietness and beauty.
Both parks are huge, Texas State Park is the largest in Texas, and all the other State Parks would fit well within it with plenty of room left over.

Remote and wild....every trip is an adventure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bend_National_Park
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bend_Ranch_State_Park_%28Texas%29

Enjoy your opportunities in Texas...there are more than you can cover in a lifetime. From the pine woods of East Texas to the high plains of the Panhandle...to the beaches of the Gulf Coast......there is something for every taste and desire.

A few shots from our trip last Spring....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/129469263@N03/albums/72157651549026457

A few from 2007
BIG BEND 2007 Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com

Take advantage of all there is to see in the diverse regions of Texas, the photo opportunities are boundless!

Regards!

Note: This was a paid tourism ad for Texas...paid for by Otis Squirrel. As you travel about this huge State....don't forget to feed the squirrels...they are everywhere, and always hungry!
I second Rupert on everything but the squirrel comment. Big Bend is a truly fantastic destination. We hope to make it back there someday.

01-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #9
Forum Member

Great shots, the first one is very well done. Hopefully will have my K-S2 by the time the the spring falls starting flowing here in Arkansas.
01-31-2016, 06:43 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
We have been to Big Bend but the windows trail was closed due to panther activity.
You might want to consider a trip out west to Big Bend National Park and Big Bend State Park.
I've been out there a couple times. First time I was much younger and wasn't into photography yet. Second time was last year for three days and we swung by Fort Davis too and a couple of ghost towns. Since we were only there for three days it was pretty much just a drive by, literally. Funny how you appreciate the scenery more when you get older.

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Lots to explore in Texas of course, but the Edwards Plateau and Guadalupe NP seem as if they'd give you a lifetime's worth of photo op's.
Definitely enough to keep one busy. Especially given the difference in lighting depending on season and time of day at each place. In some cases a completely different shoot. I'm looking forward to making the rounds.

QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoHeron Quote
Great shots, the first one is very well done.
Thanks!
01-31-2016, 06:59 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I second Rupert on everything but the squirrel comment. Big Bend is a truly fantastic destination. We hope to make it back there someday.
Susan, it is my favorite place and it beats out most everywhere else when I want to get away from "the world". I've been on every back country trail there
and many places the Park Rangers have never even been. One year we took dirt bikes and went in the far back country...it was an amazing adventure.

Mrs Rupert at Big Bend in the back country....

My point really, is that no matter where you live, there is some place with natural beauty that you can visit and enjoy to refresh your mind and your spirit.

.......and feed a few squirrels! sq1sq1

Regards!
01-31-2016, 08:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian

many places the Park Rangers have never even been

Hopefully it was off the Zetas' radar as well!

Otherwise, you're a hoss among men--I've only been in the Big Bend NP once, but recognized at once it was a bigger country than I was used to. Definitely a place to spend a lifetime exploring.
01-31-2016, 11:51 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Otherwise, you're a hoss among men--I've only been in the Big Bend NP once, but recognized at once it was a bigger country than I was used to. Definitely a place to spend a lifetime exploring.
In '88 I took my youngest son to Big Bend for a graduation present...he was graduating form Texas A&M and about to go into the Army as a 2nd Ltn. I had been promising him for years but finally got around to it. I bought two street legal dirt bikes and we camped in the basin, a mile high in the Chisos Mountains. Every morning we would head out down the 7 mile winding road to the desert below and pick a back country trail and rid the entire route. Some were old burro trails once used to carry ore to a town 60 miles away...they were pretty tough and overgrown...some through the mountains on skinny and dangerous trails only a few feet wide with drop offs hundreds of feet below. Out there if you get hurt you might not be found for months. Plenty exciting! The sights were spectacular beyond description.

Here is a map of the trails we rode in our two weeks.....over 1500 miles of back country. Park Rangers were asking us about places they had never seen. Some would be hard for a goat to maneuver.

Trails we rode in blue....
Name:  Big Bend Map.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  239.5 KB

Big Bend is an adventure in the wild. Almost no people, quiet and peaceful and full of desert beauty. It gets hot but the dry climate makes it very bearable...you just need plenty of water. In May 115F is not uncommon, but not uncomfortable if you are dressed right.

Best months are April & May...the desert plants are an explosion of blooms and the air is full of lovely scents like nowhere else.

Regards!

Anyone have Big Bend questions, I can probably answer them. Yes.....if you just go in a passenger car, you can still have a great trip and see spectacular sights!

Last Spring my Mom, sister, youngest son, his wife, me, and Mrs Rupert all met up there for a few days of great enjoyment.
There is a nice motel in the Basin or in the nearby town of Study Butte. Food is great at the Basin Restaurant that overlooks some very scenic views. No crowds, no rush, just kick back and enjoy!

We all stayed in Study Butte.....plain simple but clean rooms...$65. a night.

View out our motel front door

Just a few steps away from our motel room...some of the finest food on earth is served here. Great breakfast meals and genuine Mexican dishes to die for!

My 89 year old Mom enjoyed every second of the trip

View from the mile high restaurant in the Basin. Food is superb there...and cheaper than at home!

Basin Restaurant and motel

The road leading up to the Basin...7 miles of beauty!

The road leading down....same beauty seen backwards!

The Rio Grande runs through it all

Even Pig Dogs love Big Bend!

So does old Rupert!

Even Mrs Rupert loves Big Bend!

In April-May...if it blooms...it's blooming at Big Bend!

It is a 10 hour drive to Big Bend from Dallas/Ft Worth on great roads and well worth every minute of the drive! If you ever get the opportunity...Don't miss it!

Best Regards!
01-31-2016, 12:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

It is a 10 hour drive to Big Bend from Dallas/Ft Worth

Awesome...it's been 30 years since I drove all night with a programmer I worked with in Shreveport (VW van, 8-track tape player, the works)--watching the sunrise over the Chisos was like waking up on Mars. You're definitely making me want to go back--though humping a full DSLR kit through that country might make me less nostalgic.
01-31-2016, 12:23 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're definitely making me want to go back--though humping a full DSLR kit through that country might make me less nostalgic.
Just get yourself a good Pack Mule!

That could get me in a lot of trouble......

Regards!