Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Dull day? Take the 50 ƒ1.7
Lens: FA 50 1.7 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: My back yard ISO: 100 
Posted By: normhead, 01-28-2016, 02:08 PM

It's time for the walk, dull and dreary, the dogs don't care?

As I walk, I look for anything that might give me an image. Anything will do.. as long as it might look good.

You have to do something to keep yourself amused while you walk.
Views: 1,633
01-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Great shots Norm.
I always enjoy your photographic vision.
01-28-2016, 05:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots

Everyone can see what you see, but most of us don't see what you see.
01-28-2016, 05:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sawicksted Quote
Great shots Norm.
I always enjoy your photographic vision.
Thanks, I guess it's photographic vision.. I call it walking around looking for something to take a picture of.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. Ed Quote
Everyone can see what you see, but most of us don't see what you see.
The woods are so boring right now, anything that catches your attention, you have to turn into a photo. You're not going too have a lot of opportunities.

01-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I could walk for hours in my neighborhood and not find anything to photograph. I envy you your neighborhood - especially when it isn't snowing.
01-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I could walk for hours in my neighborhood and not find anything to photograph. I envy you your neighborhood - especially when it isn't snowing.
Tess and I are refugees from one of those neighbourhoods. Our last house was a designer classic , spilt level, breakfast nook over the living room. But it had a sterile developer neighbourhood where, when you walked the dogs, everyone in the neighbourhood watched, and the living room blinds had to be closed because you could see every corner of the front room form the road.

This house, well, as the guy who did our home inspection said, "nothing in this house is up to code, but nothing is dangerous." But we don't know of another house we'd trade locations with, at any price.
01-29-2016, 08:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Nice photos.
My attempts of getting interesting photos from a dull day never get as good as this

01-29-2016, 09:06 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You live in friggin Golden Bert! You have to get out and walk with a camera in your hand, every chance you get. Make your own paths to places most people don't go, and you get unusual photographs. You have lot's of opportunity for that. Get out there.

All these images were taken on our path, that we made, through a location that was interesting to us. Before we came that path didn't exist. First we bushwhacked it, then I went back with a chain saw and cleared out the thickets. When Tess and I are gone, there's very little chance anyone else will have even the remotest interest in it.

It provides us with endless photo opportunities.

This path is a 20 minute walk, out my back door a little bit over a KM of ridges, wetlands, frequented by wolf, bear moose, fox, deer, owls, eagles, and of course, the Pine Marten. I bet you can come up with a walk too. Getting a border collie helps. If you have a border collie you have to go every day anyway, you may as well take your camera.

Last edited by normhead; 01-29-2016 at 09:12 AM.
01-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

We've got a dog, but she exercises herself outside.

I'd go outside except for the fact it is raining (Come on! Raining in January! )
01-30-2016, 11:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice set of photos Norm, I should get my butt ion gear.
01-30-2016, 12:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
We've got a dog, but she exercises herself outside.

I'd go outside except for the fact it is raining (Come on! Raining in January! )
Ya, really, Wat Wid Dat?

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Very nice set of photos Norm, I should get my butt ion gear.
Any excuse to get out the door will do.
01-30-2016, 06:37 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really great pictures, a variety of subjects and shooting styles.

On a boring day, you still should get out of the house with camera in hand, you never know. Try looking at things with the curiosity of a child, you may see details you normally wouldn't notice. Also, looking at the world from their height makes boring things a little more interesting.

If it's boring, think of how to make it unboring, mutliple exposure, a really long exposure, or in PP try high-contrast , low contrast, filtered BW, blow out the highlights, tint the whole thing orange.
01-31-2016, 07:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I love your approach. So many interesting things go un-noticed because people are always in a hurry. Nice work, as always, Norm.
01-31-2016, 07:54 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Really great pictures, a variety of subjects and shooting styles.

On a boring day, you still should get out of the house with camera in hand, you never know. Try looking at things with the curiosity of a child, you may see details you normally wouldn't notice. Also, looking at the world from their height makes boring things a little more interesting.

If it's boring, think of how to make it unboring, mutliple exposure, a really long exposure, or in PP try high-contrast , low contrast, filtered BW, blow out the highlights, tint the whole thing orange.
Taking pictures is so easy these days, you paid for your film in advance and upfront. I've never come close to maxing out my shutter count on a camera, my K20D is still less than 15,000 and it had 4,000 when I bought it second hand. These days you can go with every idea you have try 10 exposures and it only takes a few minutes, then you can move off to the next.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I love your approach. So many interesting things go un-noticed because people are always in a hurry. Nice work, as always, Norm.
Walking around waiting for a hip replacement has certainly slowed me down and gives me more time to look around.
But I'm not recommending it to anyone.
01-31-2016, 08:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Walking around waiting for a hip replacement has certainly slowed me down and gives me more time to look around.
But I'm not recommending it to anyone.

Interesting that you should mention that. I too am in the holding pattern, waiting for a new hip. Some days, feel like the old truck in the photo I posted.