Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
In a Big Country...
Lens: K20/4 Camera: K5 Photo Location: GSMNP ISO: 80 
Posted By: CreationBear, 01-29-2016, 06:08 PM

I spent the morning in some of my old haunts in the GSMNP--specifically on Fish Camp Prong, a trib of Little River above Elkmont. Usually I can rely on a bit of haze above Clingman's Dome to soften things a bit, but a bluebird sky had me racing the sun before it popped out on the other side of Goshen Ridge. Sun won, but there were still a few shots to be had along the creek:

I'm still trying to learn how to use my K20/4--it's not quite as sharp as my K28/3.5 up close, but there are times when the extra width comes in handy down in the "holler."
Views: 874
01-29-2016, 08:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lovely environs. I like the first one the most with the bit of sun, then the second. They have you feel the place. Great to have that so close. No snow?
01-29-2016, 09:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice work with the K20/4. the first 2 shots are awesome. congrats.
01-30-2016, 04:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots. You are definitely capturing the beauty around you. Love the second shot, in particular.

01-30-2016, 06:27 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice! I really like the falls in the background of the first shot.
01-30-2016, 07:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Well done thanks for posting,
01-30-2016, 08:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rtmarwitz Quote
I really like the falls in the background

Thanks for the comments, guys...I've just got to get at least a hot-shoe level on my camera, though--nothing is "plumb" this part of the world.

Rtmarwitz, that's actually ice on a cliff side (not that I'd expect a Texan to recognize it)--with the sun so far south in the winter, that particular exposure probably hasn't seen any direct rays in weeks.

---------- Post added 01-30-16 at 08:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
No snow?

David, to answer your question we actually dodged the brunt of that storm, though the Smokies did get a bit of "wrap-around" last weekend. Too bad, in a way--a few years ago I caught a fresh snow right after they reopened the roads and trailed a single coyote for over seven miles from just above Elkmont to BCS #23. As you say, a very nice backyard!

01-31-2016, 07:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I miss the Smokys. We didn't get there except once last year and you have given me a hankerin' to get back up there. Spring will be here soon and the wildflowers should be popping out. Thanks for the beautiful images.
01-31-2016, 07:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! It really is a beautiful part of the world...and yes, we're maybe a few weeks from a few blooms starting to peek out.

01-31-2016, 09:49 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
hat's actually ice on a cliff side (not that I'd expect a Texan to recognize it)
Ah I see. I did grow up in Texas, but worked in Ohio for 14 years, so i know about ice, just not in the above sort of scenery. I remember the first time crawling up to my door thinking to myself "I wish I was in Texas again". Ohio was a nice place and tons of great people. We moved back here in 2012 and haven't looked back. My kids wonder why we tortured them there in the weather, but they do realize it did build their character. Youngest misses the snow this time of year.
01-31-2016, 12:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rtmarwitz Quote
but they do realize it did build their character

A few years in central PA were enough for this old Arkansas boy...I was borderline hypothermic for three straight years, but can't say that it improved my character.

FWIW, if you're assembling a landscape kit, a good "budget" option might be a 28 or 35mm Tak if you could scare up a good M42 adaptor. It's always a crapshoot to find a good copy, but they can be had for not a lot of money--add a quality CPL and a reasonable tripod and you'd be good to go.