Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Vivatar 105mm Macro. Another promo!
Posted By: Bramela, 07-03-2008, 01:05 AM

Another promotion of the Vivitar 105mm Macro with these two shots. I stand in awe of this lens.

Grevillea "Royal Mantle"

A Mauve coloured Anenome

Views: 1,464
07-03-2008, 02:41 AM   #2
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cool pics!

However, they do not reveal the relative quality of this lens, do they? Maybe my Sigma 105/2.8 could produce the same pics...

Or couldn't it?

Syb
07-03-2008, 06:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
beautiful

Both shots are sharp and indeed a great capture.

marcus
07-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Syb, not too sure what you mean. In my hands, certainly no expert, I feel these show the capability of this lens. Yes, in the hands of someone more professional, perhaps the FULL capabilities may come to the fore even more.
I still maintain its an outstanding lens. As for the other lens you mention ?????
Maybe, then again, maybe not, I dont know!

07-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

these examples are definetly subpar

the first image you incorectly entered the focal length for the shake reduction, the lens is being read as being a 50mm.

you were shooting at 1/90th, F19 with flash on. i'm going to assume that this was also handheld.

at such a focal length and such a shutter speed your natural handmovements are going to impact IQ.

the second image you told the camera that you had a 100mm lens, you fired flash again, and this time you raised the ISO to 400, increased the aperture to an abysmal 22, and went with 1/180 shutter speed.

again i'm going to assume this was without a tripod.

so i will agree with the other poster, these images could be alot better.
07-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bruce : I like the Royal Mantle very much ! Nice colors .

Are you still doing handheld ?

Tran

On my VS One copy , I think it's much sharper between F11 and F16 . More than that I started see "things" !
07-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes Tran, these two were both hand held at the time. I am doing some with Tripod, but as the weather has been rather ordinary, many days it is inconvenient to use, so a handheld shot is a lot quicker.
Thanks for the positive comments.

Gooshin : Your comments regarding the use of SR under these conditions are rather intriguing.
Should the SR be left off? This all a bit new to me, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Bramela; 07-03-2008 at 09:12 PM.
07-04-2008, 01:06 AM   #8

Bramela try show more of bokeh, it's one of the strong point of this lens. The lens actually gives best bokeh under strong sunlight.

Regarding SR I tend to off it if I intend to use 1/180s with flash. If you want to use SR, then set to 100mm.

Hope to see more great Vivitar S1 105mm shots from u^^
07-04-2008, 05:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Yes Tran, these two were both hand held at the time. I am doing some with Tripod, but as the weather has been rather ordinary, many days it is inconvenient to use, so a handheld shot is a lot quicker.
Thanks for the positive comments.

Gooshin : Your comments regarding the use of SR under these conditions are rather intriguing.
Should the SR be left off? This all a bit new to me, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
i leave SR on all the time with the exception of when using a tripod.

however since you have a manual lens you have to tell the camera what focal length its at so it can adjust its strength (since it can over do it), that is why the camera asks you for the focal length when you attach a manual lens on it.

also please dont use F22... i know macro needs more aperture for some DOF but seriously 22 is overkill.

also both shots seem under-exposed, do you check your histogram after you take a shot?
07-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips.
Yes I agree f22 was a bit over the top. To be honest, they were snapped off fairly quickly.
I do sometimes use the histogram, but not every time. In this case no.
Thanks for the tips I will do a bit more experimenting and it will all come together, I am sure. I will have another crack at same shot, and may list it again for comparison. At the moment lots of rain, though.
I appreciate criticism. after all, that is what learning is all about.