Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
North Fork Stony
Lens: Vivitar 24-70, FA 28, DA 21, DA 70 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 02-01-2016, 09:04 PM

Enjoyed a recent hike up on Holston Mountain - partly on the AT, partly on old trails, partly off trail to head to one of many hidden treasures of this wild place. The trails were thick with fog and diverse deciduous forests.

Lichens and ground cedars were thriving in the cool and damp.

The first few miles followed the ridgeline. Then, at a certain unmarked point, we left the trail, left the ridge, and began descending towards the North Fork Stony Creek watershed. This patch of puffball mushrooms was one of our "trail markers" along the way. Every drop of rain that hits a ripe puffball releases a cloud of spores. So spores are released when the air is damp - the best growing conditions for fungus!

North Fork Stony was full of small falls/large riffles like this one…

Conditions were rather treacherous down by the main falls with ice-slickened rocks and steep crumbling cliffs. But it was worth the slipping, stumbling and climbing to get to this natural amphitheater…

Here are some closer views of the falls…

Temperature was dropping. By the time we scrambled several miles back up to the main trail, fog was beginning to freeze on plant surfaces. Here's a rosebay rhododendron and a hemlock sapling decorated with frozen fog.

And a young white pine that really is white (with frozen fog)!

Return hike was quick and uneventful, and we were glad the heater was working in the truck! Hope you enjoyed these images, and that you'll share your comments & critique!

Views: 641
02-02-2016, 05:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The last photo of the falls is my favorite along with the frozen fog on the white pine. Another beautiful series.
02-02-2016, 06:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
But it was worth the slipping, stumbling and climbing to get to this natural amphitheater…

Ai, that's greenstick fracture city there, but I do love it so... Great set, as always!
02-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
The last photo of the falls is my favorite along with the frozen fog on the white pine. Another beautiful series.
So glad you enjoyed these! So, when are you coming to NE Tennessee to take much better photos?

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Ai, that's greenstick fracture city there, but I do love it so... Great set, as always!
Definitely a tricky hike in places, but no broken bones this time (neither me nor the puppies!).

02-03-2016, 04:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Definitely a beautiful set! All shots are awesome but I'm partial to the waterfalls...nice!
02-03-2016, 05:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A delightful set of photos - I particularly like that first one, which has an ominous, foreboding look.

Jer
02-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The waterfall shots are lovely.
02-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #8
Forum Member

The waterfalls shots were excellent. The fog shots were great too.

02-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like an amazing hike, thanks for sharing!