Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
No View
Lens: DA 15, DA 21, FA 28, DA 35, DA 70 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: East Tennessee 
Posted By: mole, 02-01-2016, 09:06 PM

Last year I finally found the hidden path to an amazing view. At the very edge of Rocky Fork, on a place called Chigger Ridge, there's a clear view across Clark's Creek Valley to 700' tall Buckeye Falls. After the abundant precipitation of early winter, decided to return and check out the falls at high flow. Trail begins at Lower Higgins Creek, where we soon pass this impressive 100' high waterfall.

Water was indeed flowing well. This little trickle is usually just a series of drips!

And the upper falls on Lower Higgins were as full as ever I've seen them.

About the time we got to Bearwallow Gap, the fog began to move in.

Old Man's Beard lichens and Table Mountain Pines were dripping with fog!

The thick fog certainly brought out the subtle colors of mountain laurel seed pods…

And Bracken fern's autumnal tints as well.

After several miles of hiking, and several more miles of off-trail scrambling, we got to the overlook. But thick fog made it a complete white-out. Despite the distance of about 1/2 mile, we could hear the falls roaring full of water! But we could see nothing but fog & mist! We waited, and waited, and…finally the fog lifted just enough to show us the ridgeline above Buckeye Falls.

Oh well, will just have to return on a wet, but less foggy day! Hope to be able to share better pictures next time...
Views: 869
02-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice photo-story. I enjoyed the hike.
02-02-2016, 03:41 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a gorgeous place. Lovely hike indeed!
02-02-2016, 04:47 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots from that trip, thanks for taking me along from the comfort of my chair. I love being in the woods no matter the weather.

02-02-2016, 04:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Gorgeous. I do look forward to your hikes ranger. And it looks like you have a few more posts for me to see this early AM. Thanks for that. They make my day.
02-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Nice photo-story. I enjoyed the hike.
Glad you enjoyed it - perhaps you can take the REAL hike sometime!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
What a gorgeous place. Lovely hike indeed!
Indeed Rocky Fork is an amazing place - and saved from planned development just in time too!

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Great shots from that trip, thanks for taking me along from the comfort of my chair. I love being in the woods no matter the weather.
So glad you enjoyed the trip!

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Gorgeous. I do look forward to your hikes ranger. And it looks like you have a few more posts for me to see this early AM. Thanks for that. They make my day.
Thanks! You will have to come visit for a real hike here someday...