Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Taking photographs
Lens: Tamron 24-135 AD IF Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Ginzan Onsen Japan ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: Schraubstock, 02-09-2016, 03:45 AM

Warming your feet in the Onsen while taking pictures.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-06-2016 at 03:11 AM.
Views: 931
02-09-2016, 06:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But they have their clothes on!
02-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Too funny but I don't blame them.
02-10-2016, 03:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
But they have their clothes on!
Note to self, I have to learn and memorize to say in Japanese: Get your clothes off. Or just point at the fabric and say with a smile: gedm off !

Cheers

---------- Post added 10-02-16 at 09:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Too funny but I don't blame them.
Susan
Most if not all Japanese Onsen towns or villages have public foot baths in the streets. They are like big troughs with a bench. Hot water which flows endlessly at approx. 40-55 C out of the ground flows in at one end and out the other. People sit there in the winter and dangle their feet in the hot mineral water, and strike up a conversation with whoever sits next to them. Very social. And after a day's skiing... bliss.

Thanks

Cheers

02-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is something totally new to me. A bit surreal with the photo taking going on and simultaneous foot bathing. Thanks for showing!
02-10-2016, 03:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Looks like y'all got a nice crew going and having fun, why isn't he smiling though? He is giving you the devil face at the camera. For a photography crew, I only know my bro-in-law, he's my photographer buddy with a Nikon. Is that a 55-300 btw? I am planning on getting a new WR and HD coated one since the price is so cheap.
02-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm off myself to Japan for three weeks in April. Looking forward to the sights. Hoping to intersect the cherry blossom season at Nikko just after I arrive. Then down to Kyushu and slowly back to Tokyo.

Schraustock, how did you get on language-wise? My Japanese is pretty well limited to hello/goodbye!

02-11-2016, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
"This is something totally new to me."

Hi

Thanks for the note.

By now it must be obvious, Pentax people are different in every way.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 02-11-2016 at 02:58 AM.
02-11-2016, 02:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Schraustock, how did you get on language-wise?
Thanks for the comment.

I have been going to Japan yearly for the better part of twenty years, both for business and pleasure. While in the early years it was not quite so easy, it is totally different now. All public transport infrastructure like station names, maps, ticketing machines and the rest is subtitled in English. Street and road names as well as freeway signage are all subtitled in English. You should have absolutely no problems. More and more people (particularly the young population) speak some English, enough to ask and find your way. It is still a little different in small townships and cities off the beaten track but even there you should not encounter major problems.

At a number of occasions in the past I have ask people, young and old, for directions. It was clear to them where I wanted to go but they could not explain in English how to get there. The solution ? They literally took me by their hand and walked with me to where I wanted to go, once there they bowed, turned around and went back their way. Japanese people are very "user friendly", they will always be keen to help if they can. I find Japanese people are very courteous among themselves and foreigners. There is a big drive to lure more foreign tourists to their country.

However, spent some time to learn some basic behavioral dos and don'ts, customs and habits of which there are many. A lot are completely different from our western way of life. (The internet is a great way to do that) The Japanese people will be delighted to see you observe and respect their etiquette and forgive the little misdemeanors you make as a foreigner. I can guaranty you, you will enjoy Japan.

Greetings

PM me if you think I might be of some help.

---------- Post added 11-02-16 at 09:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
...why isn't he smiling though?
No idea, I don't know the man. Perhaps he wears braces and they are too tight. Who knows.
02-11-2016, 05:12 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Schraubstock for the detailed reply. Doing lots of Internet and Lonely Planet reading at the moment.