Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Don't Fence Me In!
Lens: SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm Camera: K-50 Photo Location: SW Idaho ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Dewman, 02-09-2016, 04:10 AM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Taken in the foothills of the Owhyee Mts.

Last edited by Dewman; 03-30-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Views: 1,682
02-09-2016, 04:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in one word: superb. Congratulations for this fantastic keeper.
But strangely, Camera Make shows OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP., while Camera Model shows PENTAX K-50
02-09-2016, 04:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by debakarma Quote
in one word: superb. Congratulations for this fantastic keeper.
But strangely, Camera Make shows OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP., while Camera Model shows PENTAX K-50

Thank you for the kind words.

I get asked about the Olympus Imaging Corp. a lot. The editing program I use most of the time was made by Olympus.
02-09-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great sky and great light.

02-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the looks of that area. Have not been there yet. Last Sunday watched an episode of Idaho Outdoors of a group of ladies canyoneering in the Owhyees. Wife has family in Payette. May have to drop a hint that this summer would be a good time to visit. Would probably be heading south from there without her though as she's deathly afraid of snakes.
02-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
I like the looks of that area. Have not been there yet. Last Sunday watched an episode of Idaho Outdoors of a group of ladies canyoneering in the Owhyees. Wife has family in Payette. May have to drop a hint that this summer would be a good time to visit. Would probably be heading south from there without her though as she's deathly afraid of snakes.

If you decide to visit that area, here's some easy directions if you're coming from Payette. Take Hwy. 45 south and cross the Snake River and you will immediately come to Hwy. 78. Turn left, and you will go less than a mile and there will be a sign on the right that says "Hemmingway Butte OHV Park." Take that road and keep following it and it will take you to exactly where this photo was taken. There are some of the most fascinating, rugged rock formations I've ever seen there. The road is paved and goes for miles and miles up into the Owyhees. A remarkable area. Be sure and have your camera with you.... and the colors are magnificent during the "golden hour."

As far as snakes, I've lived in Idaho for almost 20 years and have spent countless hours in the high desert area and have seen only one snake.... and it wasn't a rattler. And, believe me, I've climbed over rocks and canyons and hill and dale and never seen a single one other that the lone little garter snake.

If you do get to visit this area, if you'd care to, PM me and I'd be happy to show you the way. I live in Nampa.

---------- Post added 02-09-16 at 12:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Great sky and great light.

Thank you, Susan. This area is one that changes remarkably during the last couple of hours before sundown. The color shift is incredible.... the gold and red and orange is amazing. And, it you're lucky and get some clouds mixed in, it can create a gorgeous canvas. It's a very remote area with no buildings for miles and miles.
02-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the info. Looking at my map and it seems like I'd take Hwy "95" south out of Payette. Is that right?
Carol's convinced snakes come from miles around just to scare her. But she teaches 4th grade here and part of the curriculum is the Oregon Trail. I built a life sized prairie schooner that we put in her class every year. Minus the wheels and running gear of course. I see that 78 crosses the Oregon Trail at a place called Murphy. If she can see part of the trail she's there. If we can do this after school ends I'll be in touch. Never hurts to have a local as a guide.

02-09-2016, 03:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Thanks for the info. Looking at my map and it seems like I'd take Hwy "95" south out of Payette. Is that right?
Carol's convinced snakes come from miles around just to scare her. But she teaches 4th grade here and part of the curriculum is the Oregon Trail. I built a life sized prairie schooner that we put in her class every year. Minus the wheels and running gear of course. I see that 78 crosses the Oregon Trail at a place called Murphy. If she can see part of the trail she's there. If we can do this after school ends I'll be in touch. Never hurts to have a local as a guide.

Yep, Hwy 395 south. You can also take it to Marsing and take Hwy. 78 east, as if you're going toward Bruneau Sand Dunes. Hwy. 78 pretty much follows the Snake River and the Oregon Trail. A small little town (more of a wide place in the road) called Oreana has a very historical cemetery that has several tombstones making note, "A Victim of the Bannock War of 1875,"

Yes, Murphy is an interesting place. It's right along the Oregon Trail. You might be interested in looking up "The Utter Massacre." It happened just west of Murphy. I can show you exactly where it happened. A very interesting story that the history books seemed to have forgotten. The single largest loss of life during the Indian vs. Whites on the Oregon Trail. A tragic story. Utter_Summary
02-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is indeed a magnificent photo! The colors are outstanding! Thanks for the link on the Utter Massacre.
02-09-2016, 05:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
That is indeed a magnificent photo! The colors are outstanding! Thanks for the link on the Utter Massacre.

Thank you, Carol. Yes, the Utter Disaster is a tragic story that would make a wonderful Hollywood epic. I have a wonderful story about an entire family that was spared during the Bannock War of 1875 because the children of the family used to play with the Indian children. The story was told to me by a direct descendant of the family. It was know as Child Diplomacy. Truly fascinating. I'll see if I can find it. It's an unbelievable story.... and it happened along the Oregon Trail, within 30 miles from where I live.

Ops.... I stand corrected.... the Utter Disaster was BEFORE the Bannock War of 1875. My bad!

Last edited by Dewman; 02-10-2016 at 11:23 AM.
02-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love hearing & reading about our Western history. This history of your area is very, very interesting!
02-10-2016, 11:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I love hearing & reading about our Western history. This history of your area is very, very interesting!

This is an excellent first-hand account of the Utter Disaster. The Utter Disaster on The Oregon Trail by Donald H Shannon Softcover 1993 0963582828 | eBay
02-10-2016, 11:21 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks so much!
02-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like a harsh country for somebody who isn't prepared for it. And this photo displays that very well.
02-10-2016, 03:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

This is probably the 5th time I stopped by to look at this beautiful photo and I still can't figure out why I like it so much...but I do!
For whatever reason I like it, I gotta say nice job with the shot! Thanks for sharing!!