Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Refugees on a boat
Lens: DA21mm Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Grou, the Netherlands ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/160s 
Posted By: Fries, 02-10-2016, 04:13 PM

No, not on a boat crossing the seas although they might have been. These are the 'lucky ones' that reached my country. This was last year when refugees where given emergency housing because somehow we could not cope. One of those places was in a village I've know pretty well. A local skipper tipped me of that he offered them a free boat tour and I joined them (as a journalist). My main objective was to make a radio report but I alway's have my 'old' DSLR the K-5 with me with the DA21mm attached as a small and versatile package. It was also the first test of my new raw converter; Capture One. Most of the people I spoke with were from Syria, but Afghanistan was represented as well.

Views: 731
02-10-2016, 11:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
So what do you think? Exposure, composition, etcetera...
02-10-2016, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Post-processing certainly helped, so the exposure looks good. The backlit shots are typically tough and you did well to bring out the detail of the shadows whilst not blowing out the highlights much.
Well done.
02-11-2016, 12:40 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Post-processing certainly helped, so the exposure looks good. The backlit shots are typically tough and you did well to bring out the detail of the shadows whilst not blowing out the highlights much.
Well done.
I agree with Ash.

02-11-2016, 01:31 AM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
HI nice picture. Careful with the highlights, it looks to me, that you lowered a bit too much the highlights transforming the whites into greys. You should always keep the whites white, i can see that the sky was over exposed. Don't be afraid to keep the sky partially white while trying to recover a bit of detail in the clouds, but don’t over do it or you end up with a grey dominant picture. The shadows are well recovered. Use an off camera flash next time as a fill flash to expose the picture correctly.
02-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Well done.
Thanks Ash, the backlight was indeed a challenge and I was pleasantly surprised that even with my limited experience with the new software it came out this way.

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
I agree with Ash.
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by stargazer Quote
HI nice picture. Careful with the highlights, it looks to me, that you lowered a bit too much the highlights transforming the whites into greys. You should always keep the whites white, i can see that the sky was over exposed. Don't be afraid to keep the sky partially white while trying to recover a bit of detail in the clouds, but don’t over do it or you end up with a grey dominant picture. The shadows are well recovered. Use an off camera flash next time as a fill flash to expose the picture correctly.
Stargazer, you hit the nail on the head! And I do have an external flash (Metz)... The problem was that apart from my efforts to produce a good radio report I also had to shoot some video with one quote for television as a camjo journalist. Because of that I also brought a Sony camcorder with, sound, light and a tripod. Something had to give and I left my flash at home.

But to be honest I alway's leave my flash at home. My employer provides me and my colleagues with a company iPhone to take photo's (and video if needed) and that's the standard solution... It is only because I love photography so much that I use one of my own DSLR's. But there is a limit on the amount of personal gear I am willing to risk. So you pointed my in the right direction, but I'm not willing to go there because of practical reasons.

Cheers,

Remco
02-11-2016, 05:36 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I think those photos are great! The one in the middle stands out. Made me sit for a long time, wondering about those guys, what they have been through..So if that is what you wanted to achieve, sending a message I mean, you certainly succeeded. The technical side I leave (with respect) to others more competent than me..
02-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

What a coincidence!
I have been looking for photos of people made with wide angle lenses (20-24mm). Though the DA21 is not on my list - these photos turned out nice - and shows how much distortion I can expect in that range. Thank you Remco.

02-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rednax Quote
I think those photos are great! The one in the middle stands out. Made me sit for a long time, wondering about those guys, what they have been through..So if that is what you wanted to achieve, sending a message I mean, you certainly succeeded. The technical side I leave (with respect) to others more competent than me..
Thanks rednax. My impression was that a great weight had been lifted from their shoulders but you do wonder what they left behind... Not everybody wanted their picture taken and I respected that.

QuoteOriginally posted by debakarma Quote
What a coincidence!
I have been looking for photos of people made with wide angle lenses (20-24mm). Though the DA21 is not on my list - these photos turned out nice - and shows how much distortion I can expect in that range. Thank you Remco.
Glad I could be of some service to you! The DA21mm for me is a great reportage lens if you want to add some context in order to tell a story.