Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Using a Vintage Pentax Lens
Lens: Asahi Pentax 1:2.8 40mm Camera: Canon EOS 450D ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F1.4 
Posted By: Saffron, 02-12-2016, 05:45 AM

Yesterday I went out to try out shooting for the first time with my old Pentax 40mm lens that came with my first SLR Pentax ME attached to my Canon EOS 450D with an adaptor.

Well!! It was like starting photography all over again because every setting is manual and for me it proved to be a very interesting re-learning experience.

I started first getting focus right by using my 'Live View' but that proved unsatisfactory with the light reflections on the LCD - so I did it by calculating the distance and setting the Pentax lens accordingly. That worked!
Initially correcting the over and under exposed images by altering the ISO, it suddenly dawned on me to change the aperture on the lens and delighted me to see that I could judge the light coming in by looking into the lens and make a judgement on how large or small it should be.
As the camera was hand held, I set and left the shutter speed at 1/125 which I could do in-camera.

I felt I was finally "getting it" towards the end of the shoot and decided the tree trunk and under-bridge stream were proof of this. All my images were shot in RAW allowing me just a little post-processing - but I mean a little.

Next photo shoot will be with my Asahi Pentax 1:4 200mm lens.

Thank you for looking and I welcome any comments.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 450D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 450D  Photo 

Views: 556
02-12-2016, 08:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like you have narrowed the learning curve with that old lens.
02-12-2016, 04:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Nice work. Really nice work. Goes to show ya, those old Pentax lenses are timeless.

Thanks for sharing.

Tony
02-26-2016, 10:11 AM   #4
Saffron

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Nice work. Really nice work. Goes to show ya, those old Pentax lenses are timeless.

Thanks for sharing.

Tony
Thank you Tony. I have since bought 3 Pentax lenses and having great fun trying them out.

---------- Post added 02-26-16 at 10:12 AM ----------

Thank you Susan.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote

02-26-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, K-1 is coming. Just saying...