Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Gulf National Seashore
Lens: DA 300 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Florida 
Posted By: slowpez, 02-13-2016, 08:29 AM

A few from the national seashore. All taken with the Pentax 1.4 teleconverter attached.

Last edited by slowpez; 05-28-2016 at 05:18 AM.
Views: 942
02-13-2016, 04:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Adelaide
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 510
I couldn't help but smile at the bird in the first shot waiting for the fisherman to catch its dinner.
02-13-2016, 06:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 30,725
Reminds me of my days Tailor fishing in Perth..............
02-14-2016, 01:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
volley's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,572
Susan, the first shot is absolutely outstanding. Just wonderful!

02-14-2016, 08:04 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,049
Great beach shots, Susan. Maybe Connie and I should revisit Gulf Shores.

Jer
02-14-2016, 08:14 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38,132
Really like the first image colourway.

But what a way to go fishing, sticking your rod in the beach, no proper casting Scottish style going on there then.
02-14-2016, 08:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,798
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ozwald Quote
I couldn't help but smile at the bird in the first shot waiting for the fisherman to catch its dinner.
That is a popular way to fish among the herons of Gulf Shores. I have a shot somewhere of one of them standing right next to a woman waiting for her to reel in her catch. It is a case of no fear of humans who may bring in food.

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Reminds me of my days Tailor fishing in Perth..............
Thanks for stopping by EM.

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Susan, the first shot is absolutely outstanding. Just wonderful!
Thank you sir.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Great beach shots, Susan. Maybe Connie and I should revisit Gulf Shores.

Jer
Yes you should Jer.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Really like the first image colourway.

But what a way to go fishing, sticking your rod in the beach, no proper casting Scottish style going on there then.
Well now Kerrowdown, not that I know anything about fishing (I did watch "A River Runs Through It" but these guys do have to cast their lines out far enough that the waves don't bring them back to shore.
02-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38,132
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
do have to cast their lines out far enough that the waves don't bring them back to shore
Aye cos they've got a ton of lead weights on the end of the line, it can't be too hard.

No man versus fish here (skill), just chuck out there, wait, and hope for the best.

02-14-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 125
Very nice set. The first image is my favourite.
02-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,798
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Aye cos they've got a ton of lead weights on the end of the line, it can't be too hard.

No man versus fish here (skill), just chuck out there, wait, and hope for the best.
Isn't that why they call it fishing instead of catching; hoping for the best?

QuoteOriginally posted by bjolester Quote
Very nice set. The first image is my favourite.
Thank you so much for having a look and commenting.
02-14-2016, 12:08 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Fries's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gauw
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,059
There is nothing wrong with using long lenses for birdies, but I do like the perspective it gives when used for these kind of photographs. The way it compresses everything works really well. These are really beautiful examples of that.
02-14-2016, 12:42 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
DW58's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 3,592
#1 my favorite as well. Contrast of colors between surf and sky works very well. The heron is a nice addition of subject matter. Now I realize this is not the critique thread so please forgive me but..... I would have liked to have seen the tips of the two closest rods. I know, I know, nitpicking.
02-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #13
Pentaxian
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,798
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
There is nothing wrong with using long lenses for birdies, but I do like the perspective it gives when used for these kind of photographs. The way it compresses everything works really well. These are really beautiful examples of that.
Thank you sir.

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
#1 my favorite as well. Contrast of colors between surf and sky works very well. The heron is a nice addition of subject matter. Now I realize this is not the critique thread so please forgive me but..... I would have liked to have seen the tips of the two closest rods. I know, I know, nitpicking.
Don't mind the critique, actually appreciate it. Often times someone sees something that I don't. Thanks for pointing out about the tips of those rods. I have to admit that I didn't think about it. That is what I like about this forum, there is always something new to learn. Thank you very much.
02-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
GeoJerry's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,780
Some really nice shots here! Love the first one with the various fishing species lining up for the catch
02-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,798
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Some really nice shots here! Love the first one with the various fishing species lining up for the catch
Thanks so much.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, photo, seashore
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landscape Point Reyes National Seashore Photos RonakG Post Your Photos! 17 04-18-2013 10:11 AM
Night Assateague National Seashore at night zambonikane Post Your Photos! 7 09-22-2012 01:02 PM
SF Bay Area Meetup, Pt. Reyes National Seashore mikeSF Travel, Events, and Groups 9 04-28-2010 10:30 PM
Cumberland Island National Seashore slowpez Post Your Photos! 12 12-31-2008 02:05 PM
Assateague Island National Seashore marrngtn Post Your Photos! 4 11-30-2007 09:56 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:10 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top