Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
NASCAR Single Car Shots
Lens: SMC Pentax-FA 80-320mm F4.5-5.6 Camera: Pentax K-50 Photo Location: Daytona Beach, FL 
Posted By: fullmental, 02-16-2016, 02:11 AM

I was at the Daytona International Speedway this past Saturday and decided to take single car shots of all 44 cars during the morning Sprint Cup practice. I took these mostly as an exercise in consistency, and I took the opportunity afterwards to learn a bit about how to use Lightroom. I'd appreciate it if anyone could provide suggestions on how to improve consistency or post-production, I'm fairly new to this! I've got more from the actual races later that day which I want to sift through and feature, but I'll have to save those for another thread.

Shots were done with a Pentax K-50 and SMC Pentax-FA 80-320mm 45.-5.6 lens in TaV mode. I jumped around a bit, but mostly stayed with a 1/400 shutter speed and f11 or f13 aperture.

I found the lens to be adequate, but the autofocus on that particular lens is severely lacking (almost half of the rejected shots I took were out of focus, I had to rely on several repeated shots to get a good result). The only shot posted here that I was completely disappointed in was for the #78 car. Unfortunately when I got to the track I had my 18-135mm lens on the camera (it's the only one that fits on the camera in the travel bag I have). I quickly took that shot when I got to my seat then changed lenses to something with more reach, but that car never returned to the track afterward. The resulting less-than-ideal shot is included for completion, but little else.

Clicking the images will bring up 100% crops, names will bring up the Flickr page for the photo. Feel free to comment and/or critique, please:

Jamie McMurray
Brad Keselowski
Austin Dillon
Kevin Harvick
Kasey Khane
Trevor Bayne
Regan Smith
Danica Patrick
Denny Hamlin
Casey Mears
Brian Vickers
Clint Bowyer
Greg Biffle
Rickey Stenhouse Jr.
Kyle Busch
Carl Edwards
Matt Kenseth
Trevor Bayne
Joey Logano
David Ragan
Chase Elliott
Robert Richardson Jr.
Paul Menard
Josh Wise
Ryan Newman
Bobby Labonte
Chris Buescher
David Gilliland
Landon Cassill
Reed Sorenson
Kurt Busch
Kyle Larson
Aric Almirola
Brian Scott
Michael Annett
A.J. Allmendinger
Jimmie Johnson
Michael McDowell
Martin Truex Jr.
Michael Waltrip
Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Matt Dibenedetto
Ty Dillon
Cole Whitt

Last edited by fullmental; 02-16-2016 at 02:19 AM.
Views: 851
02-16-2016, 06:56 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots!
02-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Love it! Great shots.