Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Another Algonquin Day, more cool stuff.
Lens: DA*60-250 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Algonquin Park, Ontario ISO: 400 
Posted By: normhead, 02-16-2016, 12:26 PM

I briefly met Pentax Forum's hsteeves at the Opeongo Parking lot for a bit of Gray Jay hunting.

Along the Opeongo Road.

We didn't find Gray Jays but the Chickadees and Blue Jays are alway there.

Over at the Spruce Boardwalk Trail, we bumped into Dan Strickland and a team of students from the University of Guelph, hsteeves is the closest face, Strickland is further away, telling the students about something. He is the man responsible for the extensive Gray Jay project that bands all the birds along the HighWay 60 corridor.

One lone photographer was at the suet feeder taking Jay pictures.

One of the Jays... Strickland said in previous years this Jay had been seen over at Pinetree Lake. And it was with another male. Maybe Gay Jays.

There was a Raven in the parking lot.

On the way home, it was definitely snowing at Brewer Lake.

Last edited by normhead; 02-16-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Views: 1,764
02-16-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice shots Norm!
02-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks bertwert.
02-16-2016, 01:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cool.

02-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #5

Always enjoy your Algonquin images and stories. I miss that place.
02-16-2016, 04:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Cool.
My fingers froze,

QuoteOriginally posted by Walkingwolf Quote
Always enjoy your Algonquin images and stories. I miss that place.
I moved here because I got tired of missing it. But it's way easier to do after you retire. There isn't a lot of work around here. Tess was over at the employment office, they asked her what she wanted to do s. She said "I'll do anything." An old guy offered her some advice "All those kinds of jobs was gone long ago." You'd think this is the kind of place a Masters in Environmental Studies might get you a job.
02-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #7

Getting a job there sounds like it's just as hard as it always was. Back when I applied, it was all controlled by the Ministry Of Lands and Forests. If you wanted even a part time summer job, you had to hope that someone higher up in the ministry died, then everyone moved up one notch!! And you had to pretend you had qualifications- if you ever shot an instamatic, well then you said you were a photographic expert; if you ever even looked in a camping catalogue, you then said you were born in the wild and living there was second nature. No, only those related to someone on the inside ever seemed to get in. That's what a park ranger there told me was the sad truth. But then I moved out west and though the wilderness here has its obvious charms, the personality of Algonquin was something special.

02-16-2016, 05:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The problem here is that when the government stopped logging in 1/3 of the park, most of the land protected was from the Whitney mill. They went from two shifts to one. There are a lot of people working in nearby towns who live here, but are always hoping for an opportunity to work locally.

Last edited by normhead; 02-16-2016 at 06:02 PM.
02-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't wait for spring to come to you Norm. Your photos are making me so cold.
02-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I totally get the idea of moving to a great place when you retire.
I am frantically working toward that ideal here in the Bay Area.
There is no way I can retire here....maybe in your neck of the woods?
02-17-2016, 11:52 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As always, a great set, Norm!
02-17-2016, 12:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I totally get the idea of moving to a great place when you retire.
I am frantically working toward that ideal here in the Bay Area.
There is no way I can retire here....maybe in your neck of the woods?
If you can't retire in my neck of the woods, you can't retire. That being said, if you're not a photographer or hunter/fisherman, or cold/warm weather outdoors person, there's not a lot to do here.

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
As always, a great set, Norm!
Thanks volley.
02-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you can't retire in my neck of the woods, you can't retire. That being said, if you're not a photographer or hunter/fisherman, or cold/warm weather outdoors person, there's not a lot to do here.
Thanks volley.
I've got to admit, since I moved out to San Fran (I still have the house in Florida) to be what I am today, I have given up a tremendous amount.

Sure, I am a "Multimedia Architect" after having built a Multimedia team for a global company...and I get paid great money to do what I do...and I get to work with my Pentax(s) every single day - along with my FS7, GoPros, Osmos and my Phantoms. However, I realize what I am looking/working towards.

When I look at images of "your neck of the woods" - literally - I am reminded what I am doing this for.

02-17-2016, 02:25 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've got to admit, since I moved out to San Fran (I still have the house in Florida) to be what I am today, I have given up a tremendous amount.

Sure, I am a "Multimedia Architect" after having built a Multimedia team for a global company...and I get paid great money to do what I do...and I get to work with my Pentax(s) every single day - along with my FS7, GoPros, Osmos and my Phantoms. However, I realize what I am looking/working towards.

When I look at images of "your neck of the woods" - literally - I am reminded what I am doing this for.

Well thanks, I hope you get what you want in the end.
02-17-2016, 02:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still have the house in Florida
To me, living on the windy frozen prairie, anything south of the 49th parallel is temperate, but you might find Algonquin or any part of "semi-northern" Ontario (about the same latitude as Portland, Oregon) a bit too chilly. For most people, what you grew up with is what you want to return to. Oddly enough (or because I'm odd), while I grew up in the bush (other than the pieces my Dad had cleared to farm) and feel most at home walking by myself surrounded by trees, I don't think I want to retire to the bush. I know my wife would go out of her mind (well, even further out of her mind).