Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
7/4 (Fireworks) --many pics +1 awesome pic I totally dig
Posted By: Morbo, 07-04-2008, 10:47 PM

I'm sure this will be just one of the many fireworks threads in the next few days, but hooray!

I had an AWFUL night though, everything was going wrong. There turned out to be a few more "keepers" than I thought of the fireworks, but most of them still aren't very good. Lots of cut-off shots because of circumstances that are too lengthy to get into here...

All shot with K100D Super w/ Tamron 28-75mm

All full res shots are available on my Flickr page (link in sig)

Anyway, let's start with that awesome pic I totally dig:

I love the open windows on the building on the right, and how the entire picture is lit.

Anyway, onto the fireworks:

Views: 2,054
07-04-2008, 11:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep Dan I think that first shot is really good. There is a lot of detail in the image that makes it interesting. The exposure seems perfect. How did you manage that?
I didn't have an opportunity to photograph fireworks tonight. But there is a Sea World close to me that sets off fireworks every night during the summer. Your fireworks makes me want to take the trip and try some. Thanks for sharing.
07-05-2008, 02:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Sorry you had an 'awful day', morbo. It doesn't show in your pics. You did a good job on the fireworks and the sunset is wonderful.
07-05-2008, 04:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Spetacular in deed.

07-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KrisK10D Quote
Sorry you had an 'awful day', morbo. It doesn't show in your pics. You did a good job on the fireworks and the sunset is wonderful.
thanks!

What happened was:

during the last song the symphony plays they set off a few fireworks to go along with it (stars & stripes forever) - but then break for about 15 minutes for the crowd to find viewing spots and for the musicians to pack up and get off the stage to watch too. my fiancee and i left during this song so we could go get a good vantage point for pics in the parking lot.
well, the fireworks started as the symphony was playing....except they didn't stop. so as we are walking back to the lot, they just keep going and going. and we finally say. wtf?! we're going to miss it all - they aren't stopping!
So we tossed down our chairs, and hastily set up the tripod and camera (and not where I wanted to be).
So not only had i missed about 10 minutes worth of the show, but i was in a different spot than i wanted - much CLOSER than i wanted - and subsequently I had the wrong lens (28-75), and I was too close, and too tight. and it was hard to find a good spot where the fireworks were going off.
so thats why most of them are cut off at the top or bottom.

plus my batteries died about 2 minutes before the grand finale.

ugh.
07-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Very nice work!! I will be adding to the bunch of firework threads myself yours are very good and not your average shots I must say.
07-05-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Forum Member

They're beautiful and I really like them close up like that. Ver detailed and crisp! the first shot, as you know, is amazing!!!

07-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nothing wrong with those at all, yes number one is very nice, the color is excellent.

I'm glad to see you shot them with the 28-75. I just sent mine back, it was way to soft. The next copy should be here in about two weeks.

Keep up the good work, it was a pleasure to see.

John

Last edited by skinja; 07-05-2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Bad spelling