Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Birds And An Itchy Squirrel
Lens: 55-300mm DAL Camera: K-5IIs Photo Location: Home 
Posted By: Tom Gotzy, 02-18-2016, 12:16 PM

Towards the end of last year I purchased a Sigma 135-400mm lens off of E-Bay. Got it at a great price and this lens was to make up for the damaged 150-500mm Sigma I received at the end of last summer that I had to return. As far as I'm concerned, the Sigma 135-400mm is not so good. My Pentax 55-300mm DAL does a much better job... kinda disappointed with the Sigma.
Maybe, if I can work it out with cash, sell the Sigma on E-Bay and put that money towards the new Pentax K-1...hmmmm, decisions, decisions!
Anyway, here's some photos of the birds that hang out at the feeders off of my deck out back. Hope you enjoy them!
Tom

Attached Images
         

Views: 936
02-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,216
Man, Tom, these are really good - great use of the 55-300!

Jer
02-19-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Tom Gotzy's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 717
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Man, Tom, these are really good - great use of the 55-300!

Jer
Thanks Bud! I have to say the 55-300 does a pretty good job!
Still haven't given up on the 135-400...YET!
02-19-2016, 10:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian
slowpez's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17,848
Nothing to complain about with these.

02-19-2016, 01:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
charliezap's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: saugus ma
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,337
Great shots there Tom. That lens is a keeper as I should know.--charliezap
02-19-2016, 10:16 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,702
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Gotzy Quote
Towards the end of last year I purchased a Sigma 135-400mm lens off of E-Bay. Got it at a great price and this lens was to make up for the damaged 150-500mm Sigma I received at the end of last summer that I had to return. As far as I'm concerned, the Sigma 135-400mm is not so good. My Pentax 55-300mm DAL does a much better job... kinda disappointed with the Sigma.
Maybe, if I can work it out with cash, sell the Sigma on E-Bay and put that money towards the new Pentax K-1...hmmmm, decisions, decisions!
Anyway, here's some photos of the birds that hang out at the feeders off of my deck out back. Hope you enjoy them!
Tom
Really nice work. We have so many laughs at the birds and squirrels in our yard. My wife puts up and takes care of both bird feeders and squirrel feeders. So what happens? The birds go after the squirrel food, and squirrels go after the bird feed. Often times there are clashes over territorial rights. It is the old saying, "What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine." ) Thanks again for a nice series.

Tony
02-20-2016, 08:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Tom Gotzy's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 717
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Nothing to complain about with these.
Thanks Susan, that's my point! The 55-300 does a fine job!

---------- Post added 02-20-16 at 10:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Great shots there Tom. That lens is a keeper as I should know.--charliezap
Agreed Charlie!
02-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Nice shots! I do want to correct you on the handsome squirrel shot......he was not itching, he was tilting to show you his fine and full belly! Squirrels are always proud of a big full belly!

Sorry about your Sigma lens disappointment.....I've shot for years with the Bigma 50-500 with much satisfaction. My newest HSM OS model is a little trickier to use than my old one, and really doesn't deliver any better IQ, but is still very satisfying. They are big bulky lenses, slow and cumbersome, but that 500mm reach is worth the hassle for me.

The 55-300 you have is a great lens, I have always been impressed with it....and it is bargain priced. Everyone should have one if they don't have other long glass.

Regards!

02-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Tom Gotzy's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 717
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Really nice work. We have so many laughs at the birds and squirrels in our yard. My wife puts up and takes care of both bird feeders and squirrel feeders. So what happens? The birds go after the squirrel food, and squirrels go after the bird feed. Often times there are clashes over territorial rights. It is the old saying, "What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine." ) Thanks again for a nice series.

Tony
I know what you mean...it's always a laugh here too with how the squirrels behave!!

---------- Post added 02-22-16 at 08:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nice shots! I do want to correct you on the handsome squirrel shot......he was not itching, he was tilting to show you his fine and full belly! Squirrels are always proud of a big full belly!

Sorry about your Sigma lens disappointment.....I've shot for years with the Bigma 50-500 with much satisfaction. My newest HSM OS model is a little trickier to use than my old one, and really doesn't deliver any better IQ, but is still very satisfying. They are big bulky lenses, slow and cumbersome, but that 500mm reach is worth the hassle for me.

The 55-300 you have is a great lens, I have always been impressed with it....and it is bargain priced. Everyone should have one if they don't have other long glass.

Regards!
One day...one day a Bigma will be on my camera!
Thanks so much for taking a look, Rupert!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bigma, bird, birds, camera, decisions, e-bay, feeders, lens, mine, pentax, photo, sigma, squirrel, squirrels, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature itchy Blindeye Post Your Photos! 4 07-09-2018 07:45 AM
Nature A Day at the Zoo With An Oddity of a Lens (includes squirrel!) jeffshaddix Post Your Photos! 13 02-03-2016 02:50 PM
Macro I have an itchy Eye! eaglem Post Your Photos! 2 06-28-2014 03:24 PM
Nature Cactus Flower, baby Squirrel and a few birds tessfully Post Your Photos! 14 03-11-2012 10:28 AM
Some birds, Bigma and an old flash..... Heinrich Lohmann Post Your Photos! 22 07-29-2008 01:42 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top