Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Night time portrait.
Posted By: Stratman, 07-04-2008, 10:54 PM

Was at a 4th of July party today, and kids were lighting sparklers after dark, and I decided to try my M 50 MM F1.4 and see how it looked. A lovely young lady at the party saw me with my camera, and asked if I would take a few shots of her, and me, being the gentleman that I am, of course, said yes This shot is at ISO 1600 F 1.4, 1/160 second, took a few others, but missed focus. I think this one came out fairly well considering the conditions. There were lights set up so we could play washers after dark, so I had her stand in the light. Critiques welcome !!

Views: 1,989
07-04-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice. I like it a lot!
07-05-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice , indeed !
07-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice capture but I have to ask, what noise reduction if any did you use? I just became overly sensitive or snobby is a better word when it comes to noise.

07-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Actually, I used the noise reduction in Photoshop Elements 3. I didn't even know it was in there, but when I was looking at this photo @ 100% I noticed a fair amount of noise, and started poking around in Elements, and saw a noise tab, so I clicked it, and it has a noise reduction option, so I gave it a shot, and I think it works pretty well.
07-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Actually, I used the noise reduction in Photoshop Elements 3. I didn't even know it was in there, but when I was looking at this photo @ 100% I noticed a fair amount of noise, and started poking around in Elements, and saw a noise tab, so I clicked it, and it has a noise reduction option, so I gave it a shot, and I think it works pretty well.
I think it works quite well, Stratman; did you take this with your K10D or K110D?

Anyway, great shot for "the 4th".

Jer
07-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The K10D Jer, even without the noise reduction, I liked the shot, it wasn't all THAT bad, even with all of the dark in the background. And luckily, I guess my K10D doesn't suffer from the banding issues others have reported, I would imagine if it were going to show, it would show in this shot. Here is a crop of her face, and no noise reduction used ( same photo ) Cropped, and downsized a little. You can see the noise, but it isn't so bad that it ruins the shot, at least in my opinion..

Last edited by Stratman; 07-05-2008 at 02:12 PM.